"THE SECOND EPISTLE TO TIMOTHY" Remember The Resurrection Of Jesus (2:8) INTRODUCTION 1. As Paul continued to encourage Timothy, he reminded him of Jesus... a. Who had been born of the seed of David b. Who was raised from the dead according to his gospel -- I.e., in the midst of hardship remember that Jesus Himself suffered much, yet overcame through His glorious resurrection from the dead - 2Ti 2:8; cf. He 12:2-3 2. The fact of Jesus' resurrection is very important to the Christian... a. Certainly as inspiration to persevere in the midst of hardship b. But there are other reasons why we should "remember" and never stop believing in it [While we may not suffer hardship like Paul or Timothy, it is imperative that Christians "Remember The Resurrection Of Jesus". For reasons why, consider first some implications...] I. IF JESUS WAS NOT RAISED FROM THE DEAD A. PREACHING THE GOSPEL WOULD BE IN VAIN... 1. The preaching of the apostles would have been empty, meaningless - 1Co 15:14 2. There would be no purpose in preaching about a lie today B. OUR FAITH WOULD BE VAIN... 1. Our belief in Christ would also be empty, meaningless
- 1Co 15:14 2. For our faith would be in a lie C. THE APOSTLE WERE FALSE WITNESSES... 1. An implication admitted to by Paul - 1Co 15:15 2. For they swore that God raised Jesus from the dead - e.g.,
Ac 2:32 3. They claimed to spend 40 days with Him after the resurrection, eating and drinking with Him - cf. Ac 10:39-41 4. There is no way they could have been deceived or mistaken; either they told the truth or they were deliberate liars, deceivers, and frauds! D. WE ARE STILL IN OUR SINS... 1. Our faith would be futile and we would still be sinners
- 1Co 15:17 2. For it would have been a liar or lunatic that died on the cross 3. And no such person could have provided a sacrifice that was holy and without blemish E. BELIEVERS WHO HAVE SINCE DIED HAVE PERISHED... 1. Those who had died believing in Christ - 1Co 15:18 2. Their faith would have been in a false Messiah 3. They would have had no atonement for their sins 4. Dying in their sins, there would be no hope F. CHRISTIANS ARE TO BE PITIED... 1. If their hope in Christ relates only to this life
- cf. 1Co 15:19 2. Because we believe in a false Messiah 3. Because our faith in Him leads us to refrain from much worldly pleasure 4. Because we are often ridiculed or persecuted for our faith [Such are the implications if Jesus did not rise from the dead. Now let's review the implications of Jesus' resurrection which should encourage us to always "remember" it...] II. THE RESURRECTION OF JESUS FROM THE DEAD A. VERIFIES OUR JUSTIFICATION... 1. Note Paul's mention of this consequence of the resurrection - Ro 4:24-25 2. Jesus claimed His blood would be adequate for the remission of our sin - Mt 26:28 3. By raising Jesus from the dead, God demonstrated His acceptance of Jesus as a sacrifice for our sins! - cf. Ro 8:33-34 B. DEMONSTRATES GOD'S POWER TOWARD US... 1. The greatness of which Paul wanted Christians to know
- cf. Ep 1:18-20 2. Power involved in our conversion, raising us to a new life - Co 2:11-12; 1Pe 3:21 2. Power available to live the Christian life, for God is at work in us - Php 2:12-13; 4:13; Ep 3:20; 6:10 C. PROVIDES HOPE CONCERNING OUR OWN RESURRECTION... 1. His resurrection gives us a living hope! - 1Pe 1:3,21 2. Especially concerning the resurrection of believers!
- cf. 1 Th 4:13-14 D. DEMANDS OUR COMPLETE LOYALTY TO JESUS... 1. He died and rose again that He might Lord of the dead and living - Ro 14:9 2. He was raised and then exalted to become our Lord - Ac 2:32-36; Ep 1:20-23 3. Thus our lives and service belong to Him - Ro 14:7-8; 2Co 5:15 CONCLUSION 1. The Christian must never lose sight of the significance of the resurrection of Jesus... a. It is the foundation upon which our faith and hope is based b. Deny the resurrection of Jesus, and we are no longer Christians 2. The reality of the resurrection of Jesus is very important to the minister of the gospel... a. No one can deny Jesus' resurrection and claim to be a minister of Christ b. Those suffering hardship can take comfort knowing that Jesus also suffered and rose again Will we be sure to "Remember The Resurrection Of Jesus", and live our lives accordingly...?