I was raised in a rural community in upstate New York; farm country. Honest, hard-working, everyday people. True, the neighbors were more than a half-mile away, but we still had them. There were problems and yes, there was crime. But we didn't have to lock our doors at night. So, when we moved to New Jersey in the mid-eighties, my wife and I were in for a real culture shock. We had a LOT OF NEIGHBORS AND CRIME WAS EVERYWHERE. We began to lock our doors at night and have continued the practice even though we live in Florida. This picture reminded me that there are people out there who have morals and do care about others. How could I NOT THINK OF THIS PASSAGE FROM MATTHEW???
Matthew 5:3-16 (WEB)
3) “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.
4) Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
5) Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth.
6) Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled.
7) Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.
8) Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
9) Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called children of God.
10) Blessed are those who have been persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.
11) “Blessed are you when people reproach you, persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
12) Rejoice, and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven. For that is how they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
13) “You are the salt of the earth, but if the salt has lost its flavor, with what will it be salted? It is then good for nothing, but to be cast out and trodden under the feet of men.
14) You are the light of the world. A city located on a hill can’t be hidden.
15) Neither do you light a lamp, and put it under a measuring basket, but on a stand; and it shines to all who are in the house.
16) Even so, let your light shine before men; that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.
(Matthew 5:3-16, WEB)
I don't know who the "Will" of the note is, but I think I would like to meet him!!! Honesty and kindness in one package...WOW!! Too bad more people aren't like him!! There is a word for people like him: Christian. Do yourself a favor; tomorrow, open this post again and re-read the Bible passage; print it out, place it on the fridge and try to live it. If enough of us do this, maybe no one will ever have to lock their doors again.