Often, I like to go swimming around sunset because the sky is marvelous at that time of day. its not uncommon to see highlighted clouds, but in the shape of a horse? During the past few weeks, I have noticed quite a number of clouds like these and have been wondering why I liked them so much. So, today, when I saw this picture again, I thought of this passage and now I know.
Matthew 17:1-9 (WEB)
1) After six days, Jesus took with him Peter, James, and John his brother, and brought them up into a high mountain by themselves.
2) He was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his garments became as white as the light.
3) Behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them talking with him.
4) Peter answered, and said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good for us to be here. If you want, let’s make three tents here: one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.”
5) While he was still speaking, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them. Behold, a voice came out of the cloud, saying, “This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. Listen to him.”
6) When the disciples heard it, they fell on their faces, and were very afraid.
7) Jesus came and touched them and said, “Get up, and don’t be afraid.”
8) Lifting up their eyes, they saw no one, except Jesus alone.
9) As they were coming down from the mountain, Jesus commanded them, saying, “Don’t tell anyone what you saw, until the Son of Man has risen from the dead.”
Jesus. It reminded me of Jesus. Don't get me wrong; Jesus is not a horse. But, he is glorified and that is the attraction. That is something worth remembering; he is attested to by God and worth listening to. In this world, its hard to find something (or better, someone) to believe in, but Jesus fills the bill. He alone reminds me that God cared enough to come as human and tell us what we need to know. I may see highlighted cloud shapes in the future, but no matter what they look like, I will remember that Jesus is the glory of God.