Just another sunset in Provo, UT, USA. But, although it may seem ordinary, yet the colors remind me of our American flag. A flag that represents the desire of all who would be free. Freedom doesn't come easy, there is a price and a costly one at that. I have been thinking a lot about freedom as Independence day approaches and these verses came to mind.
John 8:30-36 (WEB)
30) As he spoke these things, many believed in him.
31) Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, “If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples.
32) You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”
33) They answered him, “We are Abraham’s seed, and have never been in bondage to anyone. How do you say, ‘You will be made free?’”
34) Jesus answered them, “Most certainly I tell you, everyone who commits sin is the bondservant of sin.
35) A bondservant doesn’t live in the house forever. A son remains forever.
36) If therefore the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.
I remember the old saying: "If God isn't your father, then the devil is your Daddy". To me, this is another way of saying that who you commit yourself to is your master. If you think you are free by your own doing, you are kidding yourself. You must make a choice; submit to sin or to Christ. If you choose Christ, you have made a wise choice because it is only through HIM that you can be separated from sin. Tomorrow we will celebrate Independence day and our freedom from a foreign oppressor; let us also remember that the bounds of freedom extend beyond the limits of physicality to the essence of our being: the soul. Verse 36 might be something to think about tomorrow as well.