Today is the last day of the year! Wow, its almost gone!? I have been thinking a lot about all the things that have happened over the past twelve months and frankly it has not been one of my top ten years. But, so what? In this world we experience both good and bad things, so be happy anyway!!! But not TOO HAPPY! I know tonight is a night when a lot of people are out to carouse, get drunk and generally cut up. Who knows what will happen tonight, so be careful, you don't know what the future. Jesus talked a lot about the future and this passage is one of those times.
Luke 21:29-36 WEB (R)
(29) He told them a parable. "See the fig tree, and all the trees.
(30) When they are already budding, you see it and know by your own selves that the summer is already near.
(31) Even so you also, when you see these things happening, know that the Kingdom of God is near.
(32) Most certainly I tell you, this generation will not pass away until all things are accomplished.
(33) Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will by no means pass away.
(34) "So be careful, or your hearts will be loaded down with carousing, drunkenness, and cares of this life, and that day will come on you suddenly.
(35) For it will come like a snare on all those who dwell on the surface of all the earth.
(36) Therefore be watchful all the time, praying that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will happen, and to stand before the Son of Man."
Recently, I saw one of those "then and now" picture collections for hill street blues police drama show. I was saddened to see that the robust looking Sergeant had died, but death does come upon us all. He will be remembered for his daily charge to his fellow police officers: "Be careful out there". For many of us, tonight will be a night to howl, but remember his words and "Be careful out there". Keep an eye out, you never know when judgment may come upon you!!!