4/6/09

The path to unemployment

Perhaps this man should have read his job description BEFORE he started working. I think he also needs to work on his people skill, don't you? Sometimes workers just don't do what they were hired for and then its time to guide them down the path to unemployment. But what do you do with a person who does something good for you when he is supposed to be doing something bad. Confused? Well it will be cleared up by reading these passages from the book of Numbers.

Num 23:1 Balaam said to Balak, Build me here seven altars, and prepare me here seven bulls and seven rams.
Num 23:2 Balak did as Balaam had spoken; and Balak and Balaam offered on every altar a bull and a ram.
Num 23:3 Balaam said to Balak, Stand by your burnt offering, and I will go: perhaps Yahweh will come to meet me; and whatever he shows me I will tell you. He went to a bare height.
Num 23:4 God met Balaam: and he said to him, I have prepared the seven altars, and I have offered up a bull and a ram on every altar.
Num 23:5 Yahweh put a word in Balaam's mouth, and said, Return to Balak, and thus you shall speak.
Num 23:6 He returned to him, and behold, he was standing by his burnt offering, he, and all the princes of Moab.
Num 23:7 He took up his parable, and said, From Aram has Balak brought me, The king of Moab from the mountains of the East: Come, curse me Jacob, Come, defy Israel.
Num 23:8 How shall I curse, whom God has not cursed? How shall I defy, whom Yahweh has not defied?
Num 23:9 For from the top of the rocks I see him, From the hills I see him: behold, it is a people that dwells alone, And shall not be reckoned among the nations.
Num 23:10 Who can count the dust of Jacob, Or number the fourth part of Israel? Let me die the death of the righteous, Let my last end be like his!
Num 23:11 Balak said to Balaam, What have you done to me? I took you to curse my enemies, and behold, you have blessed them altogether.
and

Num 24:10 Balak's anger was kindled against Balaam, and he struck his hands together; and Balak said to Balaam, I called you to curse my enemies, and, behold, you have altogether blessed them these three times.
Num 24:11 Therefore now flee you to your place: I thought to promote you to great honor; but, behold, Yahweh has kept you back from honor.
Num 24:12 Balaam said to Balak, Didn't I also tell your messengers who you sent to me, saying,
Num 24:13 If Balak would give me his house full of silver and gold, I can't go beyond the word of Yahweh, to do either good or bad of my own mind; what Yahweh speaks, that will I speak?
World English Bible
Balak wanted Balaam to curse Israel; instead he listened to Yahweh and blessed Israel three times! The problem wasn't with Balaam the prophet, it was with Balak who "hired" him. The moral of the story is that only God controls the "safety" of those whom he loves and any attempt to thwart HIS WILL IS LIKE COMMITTING SUICIDE! Besides, there are worse things than being unemployed..... bang!