1/25/10

Take it with you?


The other day I had an unusual conversation with a good friend; the topic was burial.. This person wanted to be buried without a casket in the concrete liner. Inside the liner, he wanted to be reclining in his favorite chair with a beer in his hand and watching his big screen TV. For a touch of permanence he wanted the whole liner filled with clear epoxy, except for a tube that led to a solar collector outside (to run the TV, of course). I thought of him today when I saw this picture. My friend and the person in this picture had the same idea: You can take it with you!! Not a new concept, but this is the first time I have ever seen a real life picture. Reminds me of a passage from the New Testament from the book of Luke....

Luk 12:16-21
(16) He spoke a parable to them, saying, "The ground of a certain rich man brought forth abundantly.
(17) He reasoned within himself, saying, 'What will I do, because I don't have room to store my crops?'
(18) He said, 'This is what I will do. I will pull down my barns, and build bigger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods.
(19) I will tell my soul, "Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years. Take your ease, eat, drink, be merry." '
(20) "But God said to him, 'You foolish one, tonight your soul is required of you. The things which you have prepared-whose will they be?'
(21) So is he who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God."

For openers, I really don't have a problem with anyone earning money. It is necessary and even desirable. To provide for oneself and family is a blessing from God. The problem I have is that some people make the acquisition of wealth their ultimate goal, to the exclusion of everything else. I am happy to say that my friend does not fall into this category; he is a well-adjusted family man for whom life has a whole spectrum of priorities. Just one thing; you really can't take it with you. Better to have a friend in heaven than possessions on earth; besides I imagine that God probably wants to decorate heaven the way HE wants to; your furniture would probably clash.