9/27/10

Invisible visibility

When I looked at the NASA website today, I was a bit surprised to see this picture.  This three band infared picture showed at band of Aurora Borealis at the bottom.  Frankly, even though I have been collecting pictures of the universe for a few years now, I never even thought of something like this.  Somehow, I had the impression that the Northern Lights occurred only on Earth.  Surprise!!!  Consider the following passage from the book of Hebrews and I think you will see how it relates to the picture.

Hebrews 11:3 (WEB)

3) By faith, we understand that the universe has been framed by the word of God, so that what is seen has not been made out of things which are visible.

We live in an age of science, where understanding everything seems inevitable.  Its just, that I have to ask the question: Do we even know what questions to ask?  If this Cassinni picture of Saturn is a surprise, then what other wonders await us?  And that is only in astronomy!  Consider all the new things that have come into being over the past 50 years: calculators, computers, DNA testing, envitro fertilation, stem cell research, to name just a few.  Its a brave new world out there, BUT, one created by God and NOT by man.  Faith is still an essential part of a healthy spiritual life and nothing can replace that.  Some may not agree with that statement, but they will, whether tomorrow, next year or perhaps in the next decade or so. Even those who look to science for the answer to EVERYTHING will be eventually be forced to look inward and upward; I know this because sooner or later we will all attend funerals, even if it is only our own.  Oh, I forgot to mention... these Northern lights are at the bottom.  What next?