5/31/12

Be careful what you do...


Do not do this!  I may seem like a good idea, but pizza has cheese on it, remember?  Once it gets hot enough, the cheese will run down into the toaster and make a very nice mess.  Yuk!!!  I am sorry to say that somebody out there will see this and do it.  Dumb.  Which reminds me of a man who did something very foolish and paid for it...

2 Samuel, Chapter 1

 1 It happened after the death of Saul, when David was returned from the slaughter of the Amalekites, and David had stayed two days in Ziklag;  2 it happened on the third day, that behold, a man came out of the camp from Saul, with his clothes torn, and earth on his head: and so it was, when he came to David, that he fell to the earth, and showed respect.  3 David said to him, “Where do you come from?”

He said to him, “I have escaped out of the camp of Israel.”  4 David said to him, “How did it go? Please tell me.”

He answered, “The people have fled from the battle, and many of the people also have fallen and are dead; and Saul and Jonathan his son are dead also.”

  5 David said to the young man who told him, “How do you know that Saul and Jonathan his son are dead?”

  6 The young man who told him said, “As I happened by chance on Mount Gilboa, behold, Saul was leaning on his spear; and behold, the chariots and the horsemen followed hard after him. 7 When he looked behind him, he saw me, and called to me. I answered, ‘Here I am.’  8 He said to me, ‘Who are you?’ I answered him, ‘I am an Amalekite.’  9 He said to me, ‘Please stand beside me, and kill me; for anguish has taken hold of me, because my life is yet whole in me.’ 10 So I stood beside him, and killed him, because I was sure that he could not live after that he had fallen. I took the crown that was on his head, and the bracelet that was on his arm, and have brought them here to my lord.”

  11 Then David took hold on his clothes, and tore them; and likewise all the men who were with him.  12 They mourned, and wept, and fasted until evening, for Saul, and for Jonathan his son, and for the people of Yahweh,*n1 and for the house of Israel; because they were fallen by the sword.  13 David said to the young man who told him, “Where are you from?”

He answered, “I am the son of a foreigner, an Amalekite.”

  14 David said to him, “How were you not afraid to put forth your hand to destroy Yahweh’s anointed?”  15 David called one of the young men, and said, “Go near, and fall on him.” He struck him, so that he died.  16 David said to him, “Your blood be on your head; for your mouth has testified against you, saying, ‘I have slain Yahweh’s anointed.’”

Now, here is what really happened!!!!


1 Samuel, chapter 31

 1 Now the Philistines fought against Israel: and the men of Israel fled from before the Philistines, and fell down slain on Mount Gilboa.  2 The Philistines followed hard on Saul and on his sons; and the Philistines killed Jonathan, and Abinadab, and Malchishua, the sons of Saul.  3 The battle went hard against Saul, and the archers overtook him; and he was greatly distressed by reason of the archers.  4 Then Saul said to his armor bearer, “Draw your sword, and thrust me through with it, lest these uncircumcised come and thrust me through, and abuse me!” But his armor bearer would not; for he was terrified. Therefore Saul took his sword, and fell on it.  5 When his armor bearer saw that Saul was dead, he likewise fell on his sword, and died with him.  6 So Saul died, and his three sons, and his armor bearer, and all his men, that same day together.


Saul committed suicide in the face of torture.  The Amalekite's tale was false.  This foolish young man thought he would gain favor with David by killing Saul, but instead he forfeited his own life.  He assumed to much and paid for it.  David was innocent because he acted in good faith.  Be careful what you do and what you say, it could be the death of you.  And that of course is far worse than some cheese in a toaster.