6/13/12

The way through the garden of life


Every day after I publish my daily post I delete the picture I used.  Once in a great while I forget to delete it or it appears again on one of my picture sources.  This one appeared again and I am glad it did.  The first time I used it, the garden was the focal point; this time its the path.  Someone put a lot of effort into making this path, with key areas having a small fence to protect the beautiful garden.  The way through this garden is beautiful; it isn't a straight line, but naturally follows the contours of the land.  Its NOT the fastest way, but it is the most pleasant.  When I thought of this path, I was reminded of "The way" in the New Testament".  After a brief concordance search, I chose several passages that seemed to fit the best...

Matthew, Chapter 7
 13 “Enter in by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and many are those who enter in by it.  14 How narrow is the gate, and restricted is the way that leads to life! Few are those who find it.

John, Chapter 14
 6 Jesus said to him, "“I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through me.

Acts, Chapter 9
 1 But Saul, still breathing threats and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest,  2 and asked for letters from him to the synagogues of Damascus, that if he found any who were of the Way, whether men or women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem.  3 As he traveled, it happened that he got close to Damascus, and suddenly a light from the sky shone around him.  4 He fell on the earth, and heard a voice saying to him, "“Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?”"

  5 He said, “Who are you, Lord?”

The Lord said, "“I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting.  6 But rise up, and enter into the city, and you will be told what you must do.”"

  7 The men who traveled with him stood speechless, hearing the sound, but seeing no one.  8 Saul arose from the ground, and when his eyes were opened, he saw no one. They led him by the hand, and brought him into Damascus.  9 He was without sight for three days, and neither ate nor drank.
 
Acts, Chapter 24
 14 But this I confess to you, that after the Way, which they call a sect, so I serve the God of our fathers, believing all things which are according to the law, and which are written in the prophets;  15 having hope toward God, which these also themselves look for, that there will be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust. 

"The Way" is NOT a sect, is not the "church of your choice" and is definitely NOT a denomination.  That might bother some, but as far as my ability to understand truth... this is truth!!!  "The Way" is not an easy way (Matthew 7) or the path most people seeking God will follow, but is the way to God via Jesus (John 14 and Acts 9).  It is the completion of God's Eternal Purpose and Plan for the redemption of all men as seen throughout the Hebrew Bible and culmination in The Death, Burial and Resurrection of God's Christ, Jesus.  I understand these things to be true because The New Testament talks about one body of Christ, not many.  The standard for the reproduction of this way is found in and only in The New Testament.  Any other way is man's way, not God's.  Follow the path (The Way) that the Bible describes; don't lean on your own opinion or some religious personage... go to the Scriptures.  Jesus tells us it won't be easy (again, Matthew 7) but it is his way and HE is the example (again, John 14).  Every person decides what they will do to follow God; I pray that you will choose carefully, with The HOLY SCRIPTURES as your guide.  And along the way, be sure to take it the view, for with Christ it is a beautiful one indeed.