9/16/12

Two padlocks




Two padlocks

by 

Terry Sturtevant


This picture reminded me of two very old padlocks on my my tool shed in that they too were very hard to use. My guess is they are ten to maybe twenty years old. They were on the sheds when we purchased the house about eighteen years ago. Yes, they very good locks!

I began to notice some trouble with them this summer. One of them would only work if I twisted the lock and manipulated the key at the same time.  The other lock didn't want to close and lock. It became bothersome because when I tried to close it... it would pop right open!

I got an idea. It was simple and inexpensive; so worth a try. I took a clean plastic (yogurt?)cup and put the locks in it and along with just enough oil to cover the locks. When I saw air bubbles on the surface of the oil I knew the oil was getting inside the very heart of the locks and coating the internal mechanisms. 

Three days passed and then I remembered the oil soaked locks. I removed them from the cup and drained off as much oil as I could. Then I placed them into another container to finish draining. The next day I dried them off and tried the keys. They were easy to turn; no resistance, no pulling, twisting or struggling at all. The locks had been almost junked, but after the oil had penetrated to the heart of their workings; they were usable again.  I saved myself about $20.

When we bathe our hearts in God's word they are softened and made usable like those two locks!  Open your heart with an application of His Word. You will change... I know, because of the locks!

Consider....

Proverbs 2
  1 My son, if you will receive my words,
and store up my commandments within you;
  2 So as to turn your ear to wisdom,
and apply your heart to understanding;
  3 Yes, if you call out for discernment,
and lift up your voice for understanding;
  4 If you seek her as silver,
and search for her as for hidden treasures:
  5 then you will understand the fear of Yahweh,
and find the knowledge of God.
  6 For Yahweh gives wisdom.
Out of his mouth comes knowledge and understanding.
  7 He lays up sound wisdom for the upright.
He is a shield to those who walk in integrity;
  8 that he may guard the paths of justice,
and preserve the way of his saints.
  9 Then you will understand righteousness and justice,
equity and every good path.
  10 For wisdom will enter into your heart.
Knowledge will be pleasant to your soul.