11/28/12

Is It Really Time For Tea?




Is It Really Time For Tea?

by 

Terry Sturtevant


I wanted a cup of tea the other day, so I put the kettle on the burner of our electric stove top to start the boil. A few minutes later I came back to check because our kettle is glass and does not whistle when it boils. There I found the kettle sitting and I could see the water had not even started to roll. Hmm, I wondered, what's wrong here?

I began to investigate. I lightly touched the pot and it was cold. I checked to see that I had turned on the burner control knob. Indeed, it was set to high. Must be a faulty burner I thought. I switched it off and back on when it struck me. Indeed a burner was on. However, I had placed the kettle on the wrong burner at the front of the stove top. The burner I turned on was at the rear. I hadn't even noticed the warmth or it's soft red glow at the rear of the stove top.

After making the adjustments of kettle to burner, I had to wait just a few moments and the water began a slow rolling boil. It made me think of the Good Book telling us to be “slow to anger.” I thought a bit more and wondered if is there a way to make water boil instantly?

Certainly our anger can rise instantly. When it does there is the potential for all types of evil, terrible words or actions and meanness that can take hold of the mind and body and may result in outcomes that one would be sorry for the remainder of his life.

An Internet search revealed there is a company that makes a unit for dispensing instant boiling water. From the web page it says: No more waiting for water to boil. Zip Hydroboil gives boiling filtered water instantly, for tea, coffee and cooking.” That would be a handy device to have for making tea, a machine with a quick temper!

If you have been one of those type of people who are quick to boil, then you know it can be difficult it can be to follow The Bible's words, “Be slow to anger.”

I have found for myself the best thing to do is walk away before I regret the words that my mind has prepared for my mouth to utter. I turn and leave in silence. It may take me a long time to return to “room temperature.” I am much better at this than I once was.

So I poured a cup of Green tea. It's full of anti oxidants you know. So good for you. I pondered my past, present and future as I sipped the tea. It occurred to me that there are times in life when it's best not to be on the burner at all. Try to plan the staging of events so that you avoid influences you know will make you flash to a boil. If it happens, walk away. Or, should you feel the heat slowly rising, prepare for yourself an escape. Don't be in a hurry to always be right. Why is it necessary to always win an argument?

Turn off the fire and take a long slow walk. Maybe have a cup of tea when you come home.
----
T.S.


After reading Terry's comments, I thought to add a little to his Biblical reference (for emphasis)


James, Chapter 1
  19 So, then, my beloved brothers, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger;  20 for the anger of man doesn’t produce the righteousness of God. 21 Therefore, putting away all filthiness and overflowing of wickedness, receive with humility the implanted word, which is able to save your souls 22 But be doers of the word, and not only hearers, deluding your own selves. 23 For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man looking at his natural face in a mirror;  24 for he sees himself, and goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was. 

Gary