3/18/13

From Gary... Lord, help me love



Lord, help me love!

From Gary...


Some youngsters came to church today and seemed quite weird to me
The way they talked was very odd and their clothes- a sight to see.

But I tried to be polite to them and nice as I could be.
For after all, they were just kids and meant nothing much to me.



Chorus
O Lord, how I love you and you know this is true,
Please Lord, won’t you help me, love those who may love you.




On Wednesday night a couple I had never met before
came to church to sing with us but they were a just a bore

They could only talk of hobbies - and movies they liked to see
They cared only for themselves and not a wit for me.



Sunday morning came a man whose face seemed strange to me
He spoke with a funny accent and walked with difficulty

Yet he sang with such vigor and laughed so loudly
that I almost began to like him, which surprised even me



Sunday evening the preacher said something that I didn’t like
it was a little too pointed and seemed aimed right at me.

I wonder what HIS PROBLEM is so I can set him right
I just wish he wouldn’t go on and on, cause I’ve got plans tonight.



And when the preacher finally stopped and during the invitation song
I realized with horror, that I was in the wrong.

For I looked down on others so contemptuously 
And how The Lord in heaven must now look at me.


Fine
I thank you Lord, for Loving me and helping me to see
the problem was not with them, but rather it was me.


Luke 18:9-14

  9  He spoke also this parable to certain people who were convinced of their own righteousness, and who despised all others. 10  “Two men went up into the temple to pray; one was a Pharisee, and the other was a tax collector.   11  The Pharisee stood and prayed to himself like this: ‘God, I thank you, that I am not like the rest of men, extortionists, unrighteous, adulterers, or even like this tax collector.   12  I fast twice a week. I give tithes of all that I get.’   13  But the tax collector, standing far away, wouldn’t even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’   14  I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted.” 

There may be someone out there who might wish to set the poem to music- be my guest- I can't.  Just send me the finished product - OK?