4/27/13

From Gary... Super, Duper, Deluxe


I remember having a tricycle when I was small, but this is more than your ordinary bike.  It probably has some fancy name like "The Pirates of the Caribbean deluxe sport model" but I imagine to a six year old it will be just called "WOW"!!! And I admit, when I saw this, I sort of went "Wow" myself.  I wish I could remember who said "a thing of beauty is a joy forever" because that is appropriate with this picture, but I am sure someone out there will tell me.  Anyway, having nice things can be a pleasure, but when they become your "EVERYTHING", you have a serious problem.
Consider the following parable of Jesus...

Luke, Chapter 12

15 He said to them, “Beware! Keep yourselves from covetousness, for a man’s life doesn’t consist of the abundance of the things which he possesses.” 

  16  He spoke a parable to them, saying, “The ground of a certain rich man produced abundantly.   17  He reasoned within himself, saying, ‘What will I do, because I don’t have room to store my crops?’   18  He said, ‘This is what I will do. I will pull down my barns, and build bigger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. 19  I will tell my soul, “Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years. Take your ease, eat, drink, be merry.”’ 

  20  “But God said to him, ‘You foolish one, tonight your soul is required of you. The things which you have prepared—whose will they be?’   21  So is he who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.” 

  22  He said to his disciples, “Therefore I tell you, don’t be anxious for your life, what you will eat, nor yet for your body, what you will wear.   23  Life is more than food, and the body is more than clothing.   24  Consider the ravens: they don’t sow, they don’t reap, they have no warehouse or barn, and God feeds them. How much more valuable are you than birds!   25  Which of you by being anxious can add a cubit to his height?   26  If then you aren’t able to do even the least things, why are you anxious about the rest?   27  Consider the lilies, how they grow. They don’t toil, neither do they spin; yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.   28  But if this is how God clothes the grass in the field, which today exists, and tomorrow is cast into the oven, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith?   29  Don’t seek what you will eat or what you will drink; neither be anxious.   30  For the nations of the world seek after all of these things, but your Father knows that you need these things.   31  But seek God’s Kingdom, and all these things will be added to you.   


Frankly, you may never be given tomorrow, so enjoy today; it may be all you have!!!  God will give your need, not your GREED, so be content with your blessings.  I encourage you to read this passage a couple of times - I did!!!  Do not misunderstand; I don't think its wrong to have possessions, but I DO think that spiritual matters should come FIRST!!!  Besides, having wonderful things can just have too many bells and whistles and confuse.  Does anyone know what that drum like contraption at the bike is?  A fire generator, a warp drive or perhaps a strobe light???  Anyway, the bike is beautiful and whatever fortunate kid gets this will be blessed.  Just don't make a special "barn" for it... that could lead to trouble.