5/13/13

From Gary... Happiness, Joy and the path to God




If you look for it, happiness is but a heartbeat away. And joy is just behind it!!!  Frankly, I have been thinking about food, as Monday is Weight-Watcher weigh-in day.  So, this morning, I only had Yogurt and several cups of coffee.  Bummer!!!  So, when I saw these cute little gadgets for making sunny side up eggs, I practically drooled!!!  Somehow, the song "keep on the sunny side" from the movie "O, BROTHER, where art thou?" came to mind and along with it the title song "A Man of Constant Sorrow".  I watched both videos and was happy as a clam.  If you watch them both, you  might find yourself singing along with them, just like I did.  This "made my day"!!! and I found myself rejoicing over these simple songs.  Of course, when I am in this frame of mind, the following passage from the book of Philippians comes to mind...

Philippians, Chapter 4
1 Therefore, my brothers, beloved and longed for, my joy and crown, so stand firm in the Lord, my beloved.  2 I exhort Euodia, and I exhort Syntyche, to think the same way in the Lord.  3 Yes, I beg you also, true partner, help these women, for they labored with me in the Good News, with Clement also, and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life. 4 Rejoice in the Lord always! Again I will say, “Rejoice!”  5 Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.  6 In nothing be anxious, but in everything, by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God.  7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your thoughts in Christ Jesus. 

Now, the movie is an epic tale of searching for happiness and ends well.  For those of us who follow Jesus, we KNOW how things will end and that alone should be enough to make us happy enough to burst in joy at the least provocation!!!  Keep on the sunny side- good advise for EVERYBODY!!!  And if you listen to the second video all the way through, you will know that even this man of sorrow has his mind set on heaven.  Bottom line, happiness leads to joy and joy leads to the peace of God!!!  For me, that is better than any amount of fancy eggs and even a generous helping of home fries to boot!!!