8/23/13

From Gary... The size of power






Yesterday, we watched an episode of National Geographic's channel, "The dog whisperer".  Caesar Millian trained a whole Cul-de-Sac of families' dogs to "get along".  One lady had three full grown Samoyed that pulled her along as if she was nothing.  Well, this dog makes those dogs look like mere puppies!!! However, if you already have a dog, you know that it really isn't about how BIG they are, but what is on the inside is what really matters.  Even my little miniature poodle "buddy" regularly takes on dogs double and triple his own size.  Since this is true of dogs, does it apply to human beings?  The answer is a resounding - YES!!!  Remember Napelon Bonaparte? From my own personal experience, I can tell you that one of the greatest men I ever knew was only 5 feet tall.  John Bizzel was his name and he was instructor of mine at Northeast School Of Biblical Studies.  His humility coupled with a keen intellect changed my life in ways that I am now only beginning to discover- and it has been over 35 years since I last saw him.  It was a blessing to know John and to be instructed in the Scriptures by him, but I can only imagine what it must have been like to have been taught by an apostle.  And not even one of the post prominent- on the contrary, how about the least of them...?

2 Corinthians, Chapter 12


1 It is doubtless not profitable for me to boast. For I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord. 2 I know a man in Christ, fourteen years ago (whether in the body, I don’t know, or whether out of the body, I don’t know; God knows), such a one caught up into the third heaven.  3 I know such a man (whether in the body, or outside of the body, I don’t know; God knows),  4 how he was caught up into Paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.  5 On behalf of such a one I will boast, but on my own behalf I will not boast, except in my weaknesses.  6 For if I would desire to boast, I will not be foolish; for I will speak the truth. But I refrain, so that no man may think more of me than that which he sees in me, or hears from me.  7 By reason of the exceeding greatness of the revelations, that I should not be exalted excessively, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me, that I should not be exalted excessively. 8 Concerning this thing, I begged the Lord three times that it might depart from me.  9 He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Most gladly therefore I will rather glory in my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may rest on me. 


  10  Therefore I take pleasure in weaknesses, in injuries, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then am I strong.  11 I have become foolish in boasting. You compelled me, for I ought to have been commended by you, for in nothing was I inferior to the very best apostles, though I am nothing. 


Revelations from God, the power to work miracles, keen insights into the deeper things of God.  All are foolishness without truly being empowered by the Almighty.  Paul had the right attitude, the right knowledge and the right zeal.  Do we?  Do I?  Take a few minutes to reflect upon your relationship with God... is it as it should be?  If not, then WHY NOT?  My prayer today is that we all would not look on the outward things of this life, but rather reflect on what will bring us closer to God!!!  Remember this passage from the book of Zechariah...

Chapter 4

  6  Then he answered and spoke to me, saying, “This is Yahweh’s word to Zerubbabel, saying, ‘Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit,’ says Yahweh of Armies.



If God is with you, outward appearances really don't matter.  One last thought- remember David and Goliath!!!

Humm... I wonder if Goliath had a dog??? If so, I bet it was as big as the dog in the picture- maybe bigger!!!!