11/14/13

From Gary.... Simple lessons are sometimes the best


I do not remember when I learned it, but the "Golden rule" (Matthew 7 below) has influenced my life greatly. However, it is not an easy thing to do.  I tend to think (sometimes expect) that others will think this way as well- these are the times I tend to be a bit naive and overly optimistic.   Other people often are so diametrically opposed to the things of God as to make me cringe!!!  Still, if I am to be Christian, I must emulate God's actions, and HE does good to all, even those who are frankly, well,  horrible people.  Why?  Because it is the right thing to do - that's why!!!  There will still be a judgment, and every soul who has not had their sin problem forgiven by the blood of Jesus, will have to answer for those sins.  American politicians have lied, cheated and been dishonest for so long that I naturally equate politician with "CROOK" or "SWINDLER".  Yet, we are to pray for them, and encourage them to do the "RIGHT THING".  I would like to think that a few will change, but, again, that is just my over-optimistic mind kicking in.  Both Democrats and Republicans are corrupted to the core and should ALL BE REMOVED FROM OFFICE.  Still, we must continue to pray for them because it is good for us to do.  I like what Jesus has to say in the "Sermon on the mount" and hope you will see how it relates to the picture....

Matthew, Chapter 5
 38  “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.’  39  But I tell you, don’t resist him who is evil; but whoever strikes you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also.   40  If anyone sues you to take away your coat, let him have your cloak also.   41  Whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two.   42  Give to him who asks you, and don’t turn away him who desires to borrow from you. 

  43  “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor,  and hate your enemy.’  44  But I tell you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who mistreat you and persecute you,   45  that you may be children of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the just and the unjust.   46  For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Don’t even the tax collectors do the same?   47  If you only greet your friends, what more do you do than others? Don’t even the tax collectors do the same?   48  Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect. 

Matthew, Chapter 7
12  Therefore whatever you desire for men to do to you, you shall also do to them; for this is the law and the prophets.

Just because our politicians are corrupt, does not mean that we have to be like them.  Again, let me say- we should pray for them, encourage them and try to influence them to do "the right thing" as regards to the graphic.  Why? Because we want to be like our heavenly father (vs. 48) and also we want to live by his word (vs. 12).  Honestly, they probably will not listen, but if God wants them out- it will happen.  Hope for the best, expect the worst, but, let both you and me be the best we can be. (excuse the rhyming, I guess that I just looked at the picture to long)