11/13/13

From Gary... When art, kindness, and the LOVE OF GOD unite

This morning, I had just finished checking my email, when my wife, Linda, came into the room, pleasantly laughing in a soft tones.  Immediately, I asked her what was so funny and she showed me an ordinary "get well" card- at least it was normal on the OUTSIDE!!!  Inside, Linda (from church) sent the above!!!  I laughed and laughed because it was one of those things that are too true not to be funny.  I was impressed by the other Linda's sense of humor and sensitivity.  She even has my new haircut down (high and tight).  It was just what my sweetie needed (and it was good for me as well).  Then it occurred to me that as sensitive and appropriate as this card was, it pales in comparison to the kindness of God.  And I thought of a recent Bible reading...

Titus, Chapter 3
 1 Remind them to be in subjection to rulers and to authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work,  2 to speak evil of no one, not to be contentious, to be gentle, showing all humility toward all men.  3 For we were also once foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving various lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another.  4 But when the kindness of God our Savior and his love toward mankind appeared,  5 not by works of righteousness, which we did ourselves, but according to his mercy, he saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit,  6 whom he poured out on us richly, through Jesus Christ our Savior;  7 that, being justified by his grace, we might be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

That little card made my Linda smile because it was just what she needed!!!  God knows me infinitely more intimately and shows his kindness in Jesus and the redeeming work he has done for me. Somehow, I could not help but think of the hymn "Jesus loves me".  Oh, I know it, but I just needed a little reminder.  For a second I had forgotten exactly HOW MUCH HE LOVES ME!!!

Your Friend,

Gary


PS.  And the "other Linda" does as well!!!  If she is reading this- THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!  WE LOVE YOU BACK!!!! But, we can't send cards like this in return, because our artistic skills are not up to the task.