11/29/13

From Gary... The WHY























This little picture reminded me of something that happened in Publix (a major supermarket in Florida).  It was a month or so ago, and my Linda was still in New Jersey, so I was at the checkout counter with my purchases.  In the middle of the checkout, the cashier stopped for a moment and said something like: "What's with the hat"?  I looked at her for a second or two and then remembered I was wearing my had with the "Ubuntu" ( an operating system that is an offshoot of Linux) on it.  What followed was my "List" of reasons why I use Ubuntu and how great it really is (and it IS really great!!!).  I was almost done loading my groceries into the back of my vehicle when I remembered something- my enthusiasm for this operating system was exactly like that I had for Christianity at the beginning.  And although I am still enthusiastic about being a Christian, somehow a bit of that has worn off.  Admittedly, it has been 36 years since I decided to unite myself with Jesus in baptism, but still... Then I remembered the following verse (and after a little searching found it again) and want to share it with you...

1 Peter, Chapter 3
15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts; and always be ready to give an answer to everyone who asks you a reason concerning the hope that is in you, with humility and fear:  16 having a good conscience; that, while you are spoken against as evildoers, they may be disappointed who curse your good way of life in Christ.  17 For it is better, if it is God’s will, that you suffer for doing well than for doing evil.  18 Because Christ also suffered for sins once, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring you to God; being put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit; 

Truly, the years I spent as a preacher (minister or whatever title seems appropriate) were difficult ones for both myself and especially for my family.  BUT, God has been merciful to me and I realize that I am very blessed because I still enjoy learning God's word and can't wait to gather with the saints at every opportunity.  I think about heaven every single day and pray that God will forgive my shortcomings.  Let me see... Heaven, being with the Godly (and God himself), being free from sin, hope, forgiveness and really being loved.  Nice list, even if it is a little too short!!!  Today, make your own list and the next time someone gives you the opportunity- share it with them.  And I doubt if you will even have to wear a special hat to initiate a conversation!!!


PS.. I have one of those special hats.  It has a big C.I.A. on it; this stands for--- Christian In Action!!  And- it is a sure conversation starter.