12/14/13

From Gary... Greetings

























Today, as I sit in front of my computer, I decided to do something a little different.  I just sat there a few minutes, just staring at the blanks screen, hoping an idea might just "come to me".  Then, from outside, I heard my wife watering the plants and I remembered how important she is to me and for that matter, virtually everyone I have known.  I wished my daughters could come to Florida for the holidays- but that simply isn't going to happen.  And my thoughts turned to all those I have known from the northern states- New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania and Massachusetts, to name just a few. How hard it must be for them, with the recent heavy snow and the cold.  Many names flooded my mind- Bruce, Harry, Muriel, Vivian, David, Loretta, Kevin, Darlene, Melissa, (all my grand-kids as well) Betsy, Ron, Jean and many others came to my mind.  After a few minutes, I realized what I was doing and that I had read something like that before. And, it was then that I recalled one of my favorite passages of Scripture.  Read on, but I warn you- some of the names are hard to pronounce....


Romans, Chapter 16
  1 I commend to you Phoebe, our sister, who is a servant of the assembly that is at Cenchreae, 2 that you receive her in the Lord, in a way worthy of the saints, and that you assist her in whatever matter she may need from you, for she herself also has been a helper of many, and of my own self. 

  3  Greet Prisca and Aquila, my fellow workers in Christ Jesus,  4 who for my life, laid down their own necks; to whom not only I give thanks, but also all the assemblies of the Gentiles.  5 Greet the assembly that is in their house. Greet Epaenetus, my beloved, who is the first fruits of Achaia to Christ.  6 Greet Mary, who labored much for us.  7 Greet Andronicus and Junia, my relatives and my fellow prisoners, who are notable among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.  8 Greet Amplias, my beloved in the Lord.  9 Greet Urbanus, our fellow worker in Christ, and Stachys, my beloved.  10 Greet Apelles, the approved in Christ. Greet those who are of the household of Aristobulus.  11 Greet Herodion, my kinsman. Greet them of the household of Narcissus, who are in the Lord.  12 Greet Tryphaena and Tryphosa, who labor in the Lord. Greet Persis, the beloved, who labored much in the Lord.  13 Greet Rufus, the chosen in the Lord, and his mother and mine. 14 Greet Asyncritus, Phlegon, Hermes, Patrobas, Hermas, and the brothers  who are with them. 15 Greet Philologus and Julia, Nereus and his sister, and Olympas, and all the saints who are with them.  16 Greet one another with a holy kiss. The assemblies of Christ greet you.

I don't recall most of these names being listed anywhere else in Scripture, so the first couple of times I ever read this- it meant very little to me.  After awhile though, I realized how much Paul cared for these PEOPLE!!!  Sometimes, just expressing that is enough!!!  For we all need other people- especially those who we care about and those who share the same feeling toward us.  But, by this time, you are probably wondering "WHY IN THE WORLD DID HE PUT THAT JAPANESE MAPLE TREE IN THE POST?"  Answer: just for those who needed something pleasant to look at and know someone was thinking of them on a cold and dreary (almost winter) day.  If you didn't see your name, I am bad.  Please remember that I am a bit forgetful and I probably will remember you a couple of hours from now!!!  Can't help but wonder how many People Paul forgot to greet...