12/3/13

From Gary... A more wonderful sky...














This is a picture of a beach in Australia on its national holiday.  There is a lot going on here: From left to right, a sunset, fireworks, a sandy beach with spectators, a comet, green waters, sunlight emerging from a diffusing thunderstorm (next to the lightning), two radically different lightning bolts.  I sought out this picture from my collection because this morning on the dog walk, the sun was so bright it startled me.  And frankly, it was wonderful after a few days of overcast skies.  So, I began to think of the sky and its fascination to me.  Just think of all the things that can be in it- birds, airplanes of all sorts- not to mention the obvious things like the sun, the moon and the stars.  Almost every day (or night) I see something interesting.  But, there is one thing in the sky that I haven't seen and look forward to... someday... 


Acts, Chapter 1
 1 The first book I wrote, Theophilus, concerned all that Jesus began both to do and to teach,  2 until the day in which he was received up, after he had given commandment through the Holy Spirit to the apostles whom he had chosen.  3 To these he also showed himself alive after he suffered, by many proofs, appearing to them over a period of forty days, and speaking about God’s Kingdom.  4 Being assembled together with them, he commanded them, “Don’t depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which you heard from me.   5  For John indeed baptized in water, but you will be baptized in the Holy Spirit not many days from now.” 

  6  Therefore when they had come together, they asked him, “Lord, are you now restoring the kingdom to Israel?” 

  7  He said to them, “It isn’t for you to know times or seasons which the Father has set within his own authority.   8  But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you. You will be witnesses to me in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the uttermost parts of the earth.” 

  9  When he had said these things, as they were looking, he was taken up, and a cloud received him out of their sight.  10 While they were looking steadfastly into the sky as he went, behold, two men stood by them in white clothing,  11 who also said, “You men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into the sky? This Jesus, who was received up from you into the sky will come back in the same way as you saw him going into the sky.”

I confess; I am a bit of a dreamer!  But, look around; the world is one that is full of contradictions.  From the beauty of the heavens and the Earth, to the destruction from wars and all the other evil that human beings do to each other.  From my perspective, it is a very rational thing to be looking at the sky and wondering.  Wondering about a lot of things, from beauty to the less than wonderful things in life.  Most of all, as I age, I realize that I am closer to seeing Jesus with each and every day.  Wouldn't it be nice if HE came BEFORE I DIED???  As marvellous as the beach picture is, I pray that I have a camera when Jesus comes again.  Why? To leave a picture behind for those who DO NOT BELIEVE, in order that they find proof they might need to change their lives and join me as soon as possible, THAT'S WHY!!!!