12/26/13

From Gary... Of peanut brittle, dogs and that little impossibility???


Yesterday was a good day. Family time, food and fun.  We fixed a ham dinner (including chips, dip and CANDY) had a nice time visiting and went to our daughter's house for dessert.  I ate way too much, had peanut brittle and other things I really should not eat and even had a piece of pumpkin pie.  But, its back on the weight watchers regime today and that is OK. While at my daughter's house, my son-in-law used his laser to have some fun with his dogs; there seemed to be no end to their love of chasing its small red dot on the floors, walls and even the ceiling.  It was hilarious to see all three of  them slipping and sliding all over the hardwood floors.  So, when I saw this picture today, it was a hop, skip and jump to appreciating this absurd behavior.  Like the dot-chasing, this cracked me up and I asked myself: Is there really anything a dog WILL NOT DO??  Sometimes questions like this get you going- you know, make you think!!!  Jesus was a great one for using  "impossibilities" to get a point across, and here is one of my favorite instances... 

John, Chapter 3
 1 Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews.  2 The same came to him by night, and said to him, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher come from God, for no one can do these signs that you do, unless God is with him.” 
  3  Jesus answered him, “Most certainly, I tell you, unless one is born anew,  he can’t see the Kingdom of God.” 

  4  Nicodemus said to him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb, and be born?”


 5  Jesus answered, “Most certainly I tell you, unless one is born of water and spirit, he can’t enter into the Kingdom of God!   6  That which is born of the flesh is flesh. That which is born of the Spirit is spirit.   7  Don’t marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born anew.’   8  The wind blows where it wants to, and you hear its sound, but don’t know where it comes from and where it is going. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.” 



  9  Nicodemus answered him, “How can these things be?” 

  10  Jesus answered him, “Are you the teacher of Israel, and don’t understand these things?   11 Most certainly I tell you, we speak that which we know, and testify of that which we have seen, and you don’t receive our witness.   12  If I told you earthly things and you don’t believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things?   13  No one has ascended into heaven, but he who descended out of heaven, the Son of Man, who is in heaven.   14  As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up,   15  that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have eternal life.   16  For God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have eternal life. 


Verse 9 is the beginning of understanding, with verse 16 being the famous focal point.  Now, I really don't know why I HAS to have peanut brittle yesterday, or why dogs chase little red dots or even why the picture at the top could ever be, but I do believe in the blessing that a question can raise- for it can open the heart to possibilities unimagined.  With God, anything is possible- even an adult being "born again"!!! Nicodemus was confounded at Jesus' "impossibility", but if he was half as smart as I think he was- then verse 16 should have been a "no-brainer". One thing I know- some people have understood this in a real world, practical way...

Acts, Chapter 2
  36  “Let all the house of Israel therefore know certainly that God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified.”

  37  Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?”

  38  Peter said to them, “Repent, and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.  39 For the promise is to you, and to your children, and to all who are far off, even as many as the Lord our God will call to himself.”  40 With many other words he testified, and exhorted them, saying, “Save yourselves from this crooked generation!”

  41  Then those who gladly received his word were baptized. There were added that day about three thousand souls.  

I may not know WHY I had to have peanut brittle yesterday, or for that matter why dogs do seemingly stupid things, but I do know that God loves me and that Jesus was crucified for my sin.  "...what shall we do?" The answer is follow the example of verse 41 and be faithful.  Any questions...???