12/22/13

From Gary... Transforming the illogical to clarity


Question: What part of making yourself at home includes cleaning the kitchen??? 

 The two concepts seem not to go together, but if you are at home- do you clean your kitchen?  Now, this 1950's lady is speaking to guests of course and is either playing with them or being sarcastic. But sometimes unlikely thoughts do go together.  Suppose the person to whom she is speaking really DOES LOVE TO CLEAN?  Then, this would make sense.  Or, if she is speaking to a relative, who just moved in- again, this would make sense!  But, this is probably just sarcasm; designed to "zing".  Oh, how I know about that one- I am married to the queen of zingers!!!  She loves the "got ya" and honestly- SO DO I.  It adds spice to our relationship and keeps our marriage from ever being boring.  But, I wonder, what if there is a serious situation going on when this is said, what then?

Consider the following:

2 Corinthians, Chapter 12
  14  Behold, this is the third time I am ready to come to you, and I will not be a burden to you; for I seek not your possessions, but you. For the children ought not to save up for the parents, but the parents for the children.  15 I will most gladly spend and be spent for your souls. If I love you more abundantly, am I loved the less?  16 But be it so, I did not myself burden you. But, being crafty, I caught you with deception.  17 Did I take advantage of you by anyone of them whom I have sent to you?  18 I exhorted Titus, and I sent the brother with him. Did Titus take any advantage of you? Didn’t we walk in the same spirit? Didn’t we walk in the same steps?  19 Again, do you think that we are excusing ourselves to you? In the sight of God we speak in Christ. But all things, beloved, are for your edifying.  20 For I am afraid that by any means, when I come, I might find you not the way I want to, and that I might be found by you as you don’t desire; that by any means there would be strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, factions, slander, whisperings, proud thoughts, riots;  21 that again when I come my God would humble me before you, and I would mourn for many of those who have sinned before now, and not repented of the uncleanness and sexual immorality and lustfulness which they committed.

The apostle Paul had to do something difficult- reprove, rebuke and exhort the Corinthian Christians to repent.  He does a bit of word-playing with them in vss. 15 and 16 (like happens in the picture) but addresses the seriousness of the situation later on (vss. 20ff.)  Paul has shown them his love (vs.15) and now they need to show him repentance.  Or else they would cause him more suffering and humility by their stubbornness.  Sounds complicated, doesn't it?  Well, human relationships are!!!  Bottom line is... Corinthians, clean up your kitchen!!!  I wonder who else this might apply to???  OK, put down your cup of coffee and ---  THINK ABOUT IT!!!