2/26/14

From Gary.... Know and be known





A good friend of mine, Terri Justice, gave me the top picture some time ago.  Today, for some reason, I thought I would "play" with it.  You see the results above.  Same picture, different color adjustments. Well, recently, brother Larry Shatzer started a new series of studies on the book of 2nd Peter and since I have been reading this most every day, I naturally thought of the passage below AND also one from the "sermon on the mount"....

2 Peter, Chapter 1
 1 Simon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who have obtained a like precious faith with us in the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ:  2 Grace to you and peace be multiplied in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord,  3 seeing that his divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and virtue;  4 by which he has granted to us his precious and exceedingly great promises; that through these you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world by lust.

AND

Matthew, Chapter 7
21  Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven; but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.   22  Many will tell me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, didn’t we prophesy in your name, in your name cast out demons, and in your name do many mighty works?’   23  Then I will tell them,I never knew you. Depart from me, you who work iniquity.’

Jesus, now there is a name that evokes a response!!!  To know and be known by him is of paramount importance!!!  But, how do we know him? Do we see him at face value (like the unadulterated photo at the top) or is our understanding of HIM colored by attitudes, prejudices or SIN (like the other pictures)?  To know and love Jesus is to want to be like HIM in thought word and deed; to seek him with a whole heart and never, ever be satisfied with our knowledge. If you haven't done this, why not begin today? You will see a change in your life, because that is what happens to disciples (learners).


PS. Thanks for the picture, Terri!!!