4/22/14

From Gary... The beauty above us...



































No idea where this is, but it looks warm and inviting (notice the man wearing shorts). My guess is that the use of all the umbrellas is associated with some sort of festival because they don't seem to be there  at the top of the picture. Whatever is going on here, the umbrellas provide comfort from the sun, shade and beauty to this street. The idea of protection seemed to come to the forefront of my thinking and for some reason, I thought of the book of Ruth...


Ruth, Chapter 1 (NASB)
Rth 1:11  But Naomi said, "Return, my daughters. Why should you go with me? Have I yet sons in my womb, that they may be your husbands?
Rth 1:12  "Return, my daughters! Go, for I am too old to have a husband. If I said I have hope, if I should even have a husband tonight and also bear sons,
Rth 1:13  would you therefore wait until they were grown? Would you therefore refrain from marrying? No, my daughters; for it is harder for me than for you, for the hand of the LORD has gone forth against me."
Rth 1:14  And they lifted up their voices and wept again; and Orpah kissed her mother-in-law, but Ruth clung to her.
Rth 1:15  Then she said, "Behold, your sister-in-law has gone back to her people and her gods; return after your sister-in-law."
Rth 1:16  But Ruth said, "Do not urge me to leave you or turn back from following you; for where you go, I will go, and where you lodge, I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God, my God.
Rth 1:17  "Where you die, I will die, and there I will be buried. Thus may the LORD do to me, and worse, if anything but death parts you and me."

Ruth, Chapter 2 (NASB)
Rth 2:8  Then Boaz said to Ruth, "Listen carefully, my daughter. Do not go to glean in another field; furthermore, do not go on from this one, but stay here with my maids.
Rth 2:9  "Let your eyes be on the field which they reap, and go after them. Indeed, I have commanded the servants not to touch you. When you are thirsty, go to the water jars and drink from what the servants draw."
Rth 2:10  Then she fell on her face, bowing to the ground and said to him, "Why have I found favor in your sight that you should take notice of me, since I am a foreigner?"
Rth 2:11  Boaz replied to her, "All that you have done for your mother-in-law after the death of your husband has been fully reported to me, and how you left your father and your mother and the land of your birth, and came to a people that you did not previously know.
Rth 2:12  "May the LORD reward your work, and your wages be full from the LORD, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to seek refuge." 


Ruth was a gentile, of the Moabite persuasion, who married one of Naomi's sons. When all of the men in the family died, Naomi decided to return to Israel and the announcement of  that decision brought about the famous statement of Ruth. Later on, Boaz (kinsman to Namoi) recognized her actions and praised her for them.  I think verse 12 is very important here, as it reminds me that God is a God of refuge; one that protects those who seek him.  Even those who we would not normally think God would protect (Moabites in general were disliked by the Jews). The thing is God not only takes care of those who come to him, but HE does things in a way that ultimately is entirely wonderful.  Like the picture at the top, HIS shelter is beautiful, colorful and very, very memorable. Boaz and Ruth were eventually married and she became the great-grandmother of one of the greatest kings in Israel, David.  Seeking God is worth it and not just for Ruth, but for anyone who earnestly desires God!!!