4/20/14

From Jim McGuiggan... Miracles: See that jacket?


Miracles: See that jacket?

God sent a deliverer to Israel in Egypt; a reluctant deliverer who was sulking and bitter over a past rejection.“What if they do not believe me or listen to me and say, ‘The Lord did not appear to you’?” Moses wants to know (Exodus 4:1). Though the problem, at this point, is more in Moses than in the people, it isn’t an irrational request. The “God of their fathers” had been around a long time and yet they were murdered and enslaved. If one comes with promises of a new future, it would hardly surprise us that they would have their doubts (Exodus 6:9).

So God offers him credentials (Exodus 4:2-9). Turning the staff into a snake and back again was “so that they may believe that the Lord...has appeared to you” (Exodus 4:5). If that wasn’t enough, there were two more signs (Exodus 6-9). Someone met and was with Moses. Whoever he was, he had power over the Nile, serpents and disease—power to create and cure.

I know philosophers and philosophical theologians debate the credential power of miracles but you only do that in your study or lecture hall. You only do that when you calmly abstract the events from reality and reason on logical relations. We’ve heard enough about Lessing’s ugly ditch and how that miraculous power doesn’t “prove” this or that. Yes, yes, but when you meet the real thing in a real setting where the event is contextualised and invested with meaning, all those arguments seem like vapour.

G.K. Chesterton’s poem on Lazarus sums it up well. Lazarus dies and is called back to life by Jesus the Christ. He wanders down the road, stops by a group of wise men that are matching words, laying out syllogisms, rattling out reason through a sieve that holds the chaff and lets the wheat go free. And what are they proving? That men cannot be raised from the dead! Lazarus listens to their arguments for a while then walks off saying, “But all of this is less than dust to me—for I am Lazarus, and I live!”

But we’re not very impressed with a school of thinkers that is so good with words that it can’t condemn and call “evil” what the Nazis or Stalin or ten thousand other tyrants have done! The man or woman that stands to say there is no way to “prove” the right or wrong of what such people did to hundreds of millions should be wondered at. Should we be surprised that they see no proof in the biblical miracles of what they are said to support? The word ‘proof’ is not the problem any more.

For those who wish to believe, said God, these signs are proof enough. Ah, but a real miracle would compel faith. No sir! The rich biblical notion of faith is more than mere belief, more than simply “the acceptance as true any given proposition”; it includes trust and commitment. And trust can’t be compelled! Self-serving critics had seen miracles all over the place but wouldn’t believe and so the Messiah would work no signs for them; but he did believe in their credential power (John 15:24). To the strugglers who were not hard of heart but needed help at a critical time, Jesus offered his works as proof (John 14:11; 20:24-31).

In a house in Troy, Ohio many years ago I was in the company of a boy called Tad Powers. I had spoken at the nearby building and he and I came on home ahead of the rest. He followed me around, as boys are apt to do with a visiting speaker. I don’t know what got into me but I turned to him and taking off my glasses I said to him, “Do you know who I am?” “Yes,” he said, not especially impressed, “You’re a preacher!” I looked at him solemnly and said, “I’m Superman!” Quick as a flash he said, “Prove it!” Here’s this, what? eight or nine-year old boy, and he knew the difference between an ordinary claim and an extraordinary one. Had I said, “I’m Jim McGuiggan” he might have said, “You’re secret safe with me.” Since I made an extraordinary claim, one that the circumstances made more than hard to believe, he made an understandable response.

I had made a “power” claim and he asked for “power” evidence. So I gave him one. I must have been out of my head but I looked around and there on the stair-post of the banister a jacket was hanging. I think it was mine but I can’t remember. “See that jacket?” I asked. He grunted assent. I said, “Watch it!” He watched it for a few seconds and saw it fall. It nearly floored him (nearly floored me too). He turned with eyes like organ-stops and whispered, “Do some more!” At that point others were coming in and I whispered to him that I didn’t want everyone to know who I was. He watched me even more closely for the rest of the evening. (I even made a quick visit to the bedroom to check under my shirt for the big S.)

The biblical credentials are not just raw acts of power, of course. They have a moral and contextual fitness to them though there are a few which must be taken up in the larger context of the entire biblical corpus if we are to see them at their best.