9/4/14

From Gary.... Reflections, contradictions and the joy of knowing God


Blue, black, white would seem to be the predominate colors of this picture, but they are NOT!!!  The color of happiness is? Now, how do you describe the color of happiness- well, pick your own favorite color, apply it thoroughly to your heart and then, YOU tell ME what color the glow is!!!  This is a beautiful picture; for all the contrasts and reflections reveal its true excellence. But most of all there is that person doing the one-handed handstand. It would be easy to be down in this somewhat dark environment, but that handstand says happiness to me.  And human beings can be creatures of contradiction in almost any and every environment.  Check out this example...


Philippians 1:12-26 NASB
(12)  Now I want you to know, brethren, that my circumstances have turned out for the greater progress of the gospel,
(13)  so that my imprisonment in the cause of Christ has become well known throughout the whole praetorian guard and to everyone else,
(14)  and that most of the brethren, trusting in the Lord because of my imprisonment, have far more courage to speak the word of God without fear.
(15)  Some, to be sure, are preaching Christ even from envy and strife, but some also from good will;
(16)  the latter do it out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the gospel;
(17)  the former proclaim Christ out of selfish ambition rather than from pure motives, thinking to cause me distress in my imprisonment.
(18)  What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed; and in this I rejoice. Yes, and I will rejoice,
(19)  for I know that this will turn out for my deliverance through your prayers and the provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ,
(20)  according to my earnest expectation and hope, that I will not be put to shame in anything, but that with all boldness, Christ will even now, as always, be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death.
(21)  For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.
(22)  But if I am to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which to choose.
(23)  But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better;
(24)  yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary for your sake.
(25)  Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all for your progress and joy in the faith,
(26)  so that your proud confidence in me may abound in Christ Jesus through my coming to you again.


I never have been in prison, let alone been put in chains, but it must be depressing to say the least.  And yet Paul has not lost his faith, but rather seems to grow stronger because of it!!!  He longs to be with God (and of course, Christ) in heaven, but realizes he has work to do in the here and now.  This attitude is characteristic of a Christian; we are strangers in a strange land and long for our true home in heaven- but for now, we are happy in the "Today" of our lives because we serve God's CHRIST!!! The next time you are in a tough situation, remember who you really are and let the sheer JOY of loving and serving God come often to your thoughts. BE HAPPY; its contagious!!!!