9/10/14

From Gary... Who Cares...?

Who Cares...?

Tomorrow is September 11th.  Like Pearl Harbor that brought our entrance into World War II, this day will forever be etched in our collective memory in The United States of America.  To the best of my knowledge, the attack on the World Trade Center buildings was the first terrorist attack that was televised world-wide.  I just happened to watch it as it happened because I was on the net at the time.  And I was in utter amazement and disbelief at the scene. There was an overwhelming feeling of helplessness because of the knowledge that I was powerless to do anything. This was, of course, nothing new.  I remember that as a youngster in grade school we did what I call "BOMB DRILLS": The school would periodically sound an alarm over the public address system and everyone would immediately seek shelter under their desks. Sheer futility; like that would really protect you from the blast of a thermonuclear explosion or prevent radiation from destroying every cell in your body!!!

This feeling of helplessness eventually became indifference and the feeling of utter apathy.  It became fashionable to "drop out" or "do your own thing" and seek pleasure at all costs. Almost sounds like a definition for the 1960's, doesn't it?  But, life went on- I grew up and raised a family- responsibility became the watchword of my life!!!  Still, underneath it all, there was that feeling of helplessness.  I was part of a society that was too big for me to do anything that would really change anything at all. Or so I thought...  In retrospect, I did change things- myself!!!  In the seventies I was searching and soon the Bible became my guide.  I can only tell you that you can change the world by letting God change YOU!!! And, of course, there is that ripple effect.  You affect your family and friends, which in turn affect the community. Now, I know that it doesn't sound like much, but remember, gigantic oceans are nothing but a collection of insignificant drops of water.  

Am I wasting my time by saying all this?  Just another post- so what? Well, at this point we all have two choices: The first is to be like the man in the magazine cover below or perhaps like those mentioned in the book of Revelation....
 



Revelation 3:14-22 NASB
(14)  "To the angel of the church in Laodicea write: The Amen, the faithful and true Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God, says this:
(15)  'I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot; I wish that you were cold or hot.
(16)  'So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth.

(17)  'Because you say, "I am rich, and have become wealthy, and have need of nothing," and you do not know that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked,
(18)  I advise you to buy from Me gold refined by fire so that you may become rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself, and that the shame of your nakedness will not be revealed; and eye salve to anoint your eyes so that you may see.
(19)  'Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline; therefore be zealous and repent.
(20)  'Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me.
(21)  'He who overcomes, I will grant to him to sit down with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.
(22)  'He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.'"


And the second choice is found in verses 19ff. above.  I think the second one is better- How about you??? But, then- WHO CARES???  

I CAN ONLY SAY- I DO!!!! I HOPE YOU CAN TOO!!!