10/20/14

From Gary... It makes you think



Well, its fall in Florida; the snowbirds are returning.  The other day, one of my neighbors returned and I saw him taking a nautical picture from his vehicle and he was kind enough to show it to me.  It was beautiful- so much so, that the sea has been on my mind all day. Then I saw this picture and thought about what the view might be like from atop that mast and the reflections that ones mind might engage in while there.  Surely, the experience would clear the mind and clarify the thinking!!! The following is one instance where where clarity of thought is absolutely necessary....

  Galatians, chapter 1 (WEB)
 6  I marvel that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ to a different “good news”;  7 and there isn’t another “good news.” Only there are some who trouble you, and want to pervert the Good News of Christ.  8 But even though we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you any “good news” other than that which we preached to you, let him be cursed.  9 As we have said before, so I now say again: if any man preaches to you any “good news” other than that which you received, let him be cursed.  10 For am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? Or am I striving to please men? For if I were still pleasing men, I wouldn’t be a servant of Christ. 11 But I make known to you, brothers, concerning the Good News which was preached by me, that it is not according to man.  12 For neither did I receive it from man, nor was I taught it, but it came to me through revelation of Jesus Christ.  13 For you have heard of my way of living in time past in the Jews’ religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the assembly of God, and ravaged it.  14 I advanced in the Jews’ religion beyond many of my own age among my countrymen, being more exceedingly zealous for the traditions of my fathers.  15 But when it was the good pleasure of God, who separated me from my mother’s womb, and called me through his grace,  16 to reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I didn’t immediately confer with flesh and blood, 17 nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me, but I went away into Arabia. Then I returned to Damascus.  18 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to visit Peter, and stayed with him fifteen days. 19 But of the other apostles I saw no one, except James, the Lord’s brother.  20 Now about the things which I write to you, behold,*n2before God, I’m not lying.  21 Then I came to the regions of Syria and Cilicia.  22 I was still unknown by face to the assemblies of Judea which were in Christ,  23 but they only heard: “He who once persecuted us now preaches the faith that he once tried to destroy.”  24 And they glorified God in me. 

Paul reminded the Galatians of the truth of the one Gospel and the significance of its truth is of utmost importance.  For, any other truth is in fact- no truth at all.

Consider this:

1 Corinthians, chapter 15 (WEB)
 1 Now I declare to you, brothers, the Good News which I preached to you, which also you received, in which you also stand,  2 by which also you are saved, if you hold firmly the word which I preached to you—unless you believed in vain.  3 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,  4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,  5 and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. 6 Then he appeared to over five hundred brothers at once, most of whom remain until now, but some have also fallen asleep.  7 Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, 8 and last of all, as to the child born at the wrong time, he appeared to me also.  9 For I am the least of the apostles, who is not worthy to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the assembly of God.  10 But by the grace of God I am what I am.
 
Today would be a great day to reflect upon THE TRUTH OF THE GOSPEL and what that has meant for your life.  Now, I now that this is very brief, so perhaps something longer might aid in your reflection- so, if you have your Bibles handy, reread Peter's first sermon (Acts, chapter 2:14ff.).  (standing at the top of a mast is optional)