12/3/14

From Gary... Just a word of encouragement


I woke this morning thinking of my conversation with my daughter, Melissa yesterday.  It was her birthday and she had had a very bad day, but nonetheless, we reminisced for quite awhile.  When I shared that her grandfather was in the hospital, she commented that she remembered him, but did really want to talk about him much. I hope that someday, those who have known me will have a more positive remembrance of me. And so, this morning, I was thinking of Brett, who is just starting out in life and this picture.  Now, this is a picture of Liam Neeson from the movie: The Grey. It is one of the best movies I have ever seen (even if it is a bit gruesome at times).  But what I will always remember about this flick is the very end of it.  You see, the ending has a message for us all- especially those who are starting out in life. Make the best of what you have, where you are, right now.  Upon thinking about this, I can't help but think of this passage from Paul's epistle to Timothy...

2 Timothy, Chapter 3
 10 But you did follow my teaching, conduct, purpose, faith, patience, love, steadfastness,  11 persecutions, and sufferings: those things that happened to me at Antioch, Iconium, and Lystra. I endured those persecutions. The Lord delivered me out of them all.  12 Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution.  13 But evil men and impostors will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived.  14 But you remain in the things which you have learned and have been assured of, knowing from whom you have learned them.  15 From infancy, you have known the holy Scriptures which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith, which is in Christ Jesus.  16 Every Scripture is God-breathed and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness,  17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. 

Our hero of the movie is the lone survivor of a group of people that survived a plane crash in the far north. One by one, wolves kill them.  At the end of the movie, the last one left finds himself in the very den of the pack that killed his comrades and is facing the awesome leader of the pack; The grey!!!  He does not give up, even when facing certain death, but uses duct tape and broken bottles to attack.  And so, my dear grandson- as you can learn from this movie- learn also from me. Life will present you with many seemingly insurmountable obstacles, but you- overcome them with what you have, where you are, right now. And prepare for the rest of your life by following the teachings of the Bible. I hope you will remember me fondly and these words of encouragement as well.  Grandpa

For Brett