12/1/14

From Gary... Texture, pathos and appreciation

The Tuxedo Rose
This picture has become a favorite of mine, not just because it is a Rose (like my last name), but because of its beauty.  And even more than its abundant attractiveness, I have grown to like its texture, for somehow I can almost FEEL the softness of it petals.  Now, I have never seen a Tuxedo Rose "up close and personal", but I am guessing that they have a texture like soft velvet. I know, I am guessing here, but I can still imagine and enjoy the feeling!!!!  

I really know know WHY, but for me, this picture is all about FEELING!!! And I hope that someday, when I actually do get to see my first Tuxedo Rose, that it will live up to my expectations.  So often, what we actually encounter does not live up to expectations and disappointment comes quickly. But, what if you knew what was going to happen ahead of time and your future was to be simply dreadful.  Would you continue on the road you have chosen or would you shy away from that unpleasantness that awaits?  And so, we come to Jesus...

Luke, Chapter 22 (WEB)
  39  He came out, and went, as his custom was, to the Mount of Olives. His disciples also followed him.  40 When he was at the place, he said to them, “Pray that you don’t enter into temptation.” 

  41  He was withdrawn from them about a stone’s throw, and he knelt down and prayed,  42 saying, “Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done.” 

  43  An angel from heaven appeared to him, strengthening him.  44 Being in agony he prayed more earnestly. His sweat became like great drops of blood falling down on the ground. 

  45  When he rose up from his prayer, he came to the disciples, and found them sleeping because of grief,  46 and said to them, “Why do you sleep? Rise and pray that you may not enter into temptation.”

Jesus went through agony- plain and simple!!!  And he did it for the sins of OTHERS!!!!! And it HURT AND HURT AND HURT and became AGONY!!!  But Jesus kept on his course for me. I am glad he did and perhaps the next time I touch one of the petals of my wife's rose bushes, I will remember the "feeling" of it and also remember that Jesus experienced feeling as well. I pray that all this will motivate me to do more to serve him!!! And perhaps to appreciate the cost of eternal life as well!!!!