5/21/15

From Gary... Don't hang up, I know where there is a free meal...


I don't about you, but I am fed up with people trying to sell me things!  I hear the phone ring- and my first thought is: And who is it now and what do the want to sell?  From the national association for the prevention of stupidity to surveys about how well my deodorant works, people just push more and more at me everyday!!! Even with being on the national "do not call list" - they still call!!! And the worst part of all this is that their persistence creates a barrier to the truth of God!!!  So, how are we to go about sharing God's truth with a world already inundated with "selling". Should we sell Jesus?  Good question! And then there is this passage, penned by none other than the apostle Paul, himself....  

2 Timothy, Chapter 4 (WEB)
 1 I command you therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge the living and the dead at his appearing and his Kingdom:  2 preach the word; be urgent in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with all patience and teaching.  3 For the time will come when they will not listen to the sound doctrine, but, having itching ears, will heap up for themselves teachers after their own lusts;  4 and will turn away their ears from the truth, and turn aside to fables.

Hummm... As I think about it, I don't want to sell Jesus to you- he is not a product!!! However, I do remember something I heard long ago: "Christianity is like one beggar showing another beggar where there is a free meal."  Different than a phone solicitor isn't it??  People may not want to hear a "sales pitch", but most will listen to a friend wanting to help them. Just day to day stuff, without a programmed presentation- just one person sharing with another the truth of God as best as it can be understood.

This I do; without ulterior motive or a catch.  The life I live with God, I share with you. I hope that you will eventually realize that I am your friend and together we will get to know God even better than we do today.

Your friend always,

Gary