10/5/15

From Gary... Faithful- regardless!!!


The recent shooting in Oregon has been on my mind lately. And when I saw this jpeg, I knew I just had to say something.  This picture is only partially correct; for every one after the first martyr became the bravest at the moment of  their acknowledgement of Jesus as LORD. I think the last one martyred was the bravest of all, because that person had the most time to realize what was happening. His (or Her) decision to proclaim their discipleship was definitely NOT a knee jerk answer. This may be something new in the U.S., but it is nothing new at all. There have been myriads of martyrs over the past two two thousand years; with that of Stephen coming first to my mind...

Acts, Chapter 7 (WEB)
55 But he, being full of the Holy Spirit, looked up steadfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God,  56 and said, “Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God!” 

  57  But they cried out with a loud voice, and stopped their ears, and rushed at him with one accord.  58 They threw him out of the city, and stoned him. The witnesses placed their garments at the feet of a young man named Saul.  59 They stoned Stephen as he called out, saying, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit!”   

AND THEN THERE IS THE TESTIMONY FOUND IN THE BOOK OF REVELATION...

Revelation, Chapter 2 (WEB)

8  “To the angel of the assembly in Smyrna write: 

“The first and the last, who was dead, and has come to life says these things: 

  9  “I know your works, oppression, and your poverty (but you are rich), and the blasphemy of those who say they are Jews, and they are not, but are a synagogue of Satan.   10  Don’t be afraid of the things which you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested; and you will have oppression for ten days. Be faithful to death, and I will give you the crown of life.   11  He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the assemblies. He who overcomes won’t be harmed by the second death. 

  12  “To the angel of the assembly in Pergamum write: 

“He who has the sharp two-edged sword says these things: 

  13  “I know your works and where you dwell, where Satan’s throne is. You hold firmly to my name, and didn’t deny my faith in the days of Antipas my witness, my faithful one, who was killed among you, where Satan dwells.


The testimony of every single Martyr gives validity to the Christian religion and hope to those who may be faced with a choice like those in Oregon. Whatever persecution may come your way, remember 10 (c) above...

...Be faithful to death, and I will give you the crown of life.