10/6/15

From Gary... Pride, suffering and the journey to humility


Things happen. No one knows what the future holds, so BE HUMBLE!  Even the best of us encounter situations, problems and hardships that may prove too much for us to handle. Nowhere is this more true than in the realm of spirituality; "for all have sinned, and fall short of the glory of God..." Rom 6:23.  Consider Job...

Job, Chapter 1 (WEB)

 6  Now on the day when God’s sons came to present themselves before Yahweh, Satan also came among them.  7 Yahweh said to Satan, “Where have you come from?” 

Then Satan answered Yahweh, and said, “From going back and forth in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.” 

  8  Yahweh said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant, Job? For there is no one like him in the earth, a blameless and an upright man, one who fears God, and turns away from evil.” 



Job, Chapter 42 (WEB)

 1 Then Job answered Yahweh, 
  2 “I know that you can do all things,
and that no purpose of yours can be restrained.
  3 You asked, ‘Who is this who hides counsel without knowledge?’
therefore I have uttered that which I did not understand,
things too wonderful for me, which I didn’t know.
  4 You said, ‘Listen, now, and I will speak;
I will question you, and you will answer me.’
  5 I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear,
but now my eye sees you.
  6 Therefore I abhor myself,
and repent in dust and ashes.”


Job was an outstanding man, but he thought more of himself than he should have.  His pride in his own righteousness led him to even contend with God. The almighty set him straight and Job repented. And God accepted Job's contrite repentance- then healed and blessed him. 

The book of Job is the story of righteousness and suffering, but along with these things it is also the journey from pride to humility. The real value of the suffering of Job (and by extension- all the righteous who suffer) is that it is a lesson of attitude for us all!!!

Solomon said it well-

Ecclesiastes, Chapter 12 (WEB)
13  This is the end of the matter. All has been heard. Fear God, and keep his commandments; for this is the whole duty of man.  14 For God will bring every work into judgment, with every hidden thing, whether it is good, or whether it is evil. 

How often do I think of verse 13 and forget verse 14? For life is more than just duty; it is God working in our lives to perfect us. And sometimes the road to being perfected is a difficult and painful one- ASK JOB!!!