10/8/15

From Gary... Sin


Sin; such an unpleasant word, so distasteful in fact that our culture has taken the road of renaming it to things like, "sicknesses", "shortcomings", "am I bad?", "faux pas", "blunders", "misguided", "errors in judgement" and the like. So, what do we do when someone has obviously done something wrong? Ignore it, use words that attempt to make it in something apparently harmless (above), get treatment for it, pass laws to make it legal, accept it as part of the ongoing development of a "progressive" society or perhaps make a pill to "cure" it? Wrong, all wrong!!!

Christians have always had the answer for sin: acknowledgement of the sin for what it is, open confession of the wrongdoing and conformity to God's standards of purity. In other words - REPENTANCE!!!   And in case you think this is for things that really don't matter, consider the following case...

1 Corinthians, Chapter 5 (WEB)
 1 It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and such sexual immorality as is not even named among the Gentiles, that one has his father’s wife.  2 You are puffed up, and didn’t rather mourn, that he who had done this deed might be removed from among you.  3 For I most certainly, as being absent in body but present in spirit, have already, as though I were present, judged him who has done this thing.  4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, you being gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,  5 are to deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus. 

2 Corinthians, Chapter 2 (WEB)
 1 But I determined this for myself, that I would not come to you again in sorrow.  2 For if I make you sorry, then who will make me glad but he who is made sorry by me?  3 And I wrote this very thing to you, so that, when I came, I wouldn’t have sorrow from them of whom I ought to rejoice; having confidence in you all, that my joy would be shared by all of you.  4 For out of much affliction and anguish of heart I wrote to you with many tears, not that you should be made sorry, but that you might know the love that I have so abundantly for you.  5 But if any has caused sorrow, he has caused sorrow, not to me, but in part (that I not press too heavily) to you all. 6 Sufficient to such a one is this punishment which was inflicted by the many;  7 so that on the contrary you should rather forgive him and comfort him, lest by any means such a one should be swallowed up with his excessive sorrow.  8 Therefore I beg you to confirm your love toward him.  9 For to this end I also wrote, that I might know the proof of you, whether you are obedient in all things.  10 Now I also forgive whomever you forgive anything. For if indeed I have forgiven anything, I have forgiven that one for your sakes in the presence of Christ, 11 that no advantage may be gained over us by Satan; for we are not ignorant of his schemes.

The Corinthian church had a sin problem- sexual immorality, and when challenged to do something about- they did!!! They confronted the situation and applied church discipline (see also Matthew, Chapter 18) and the offending party repented. 

Problem solved!!!!

And, guess what- they didn't even need a pill!!!