7/13/16

A shirt, some reflection and a decision by Gary Rose


A healthy self-assessment is a good thing. In fact, I was born in the late 40's, I have lost my gall bladder and half a thyroid and I am getting forgetful. Unpleasant thoughts, but true. But what about my attitudes and actions? Do I think like God wants me to and do I really do what God wants me to do? Hopefully, yes. However, sometimes, we can all justify reality to our own liking. That needs to STOP.

Consider...

Haggai, Chapter 1 (WEB)
In the second year of King Darius, in the sixth month, on the first day, the word of Yahweh came ⌞through⌟ Haggai the prophet to Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, governor of Judah, and to Joshua the son of Jehozadak, the high priest, saying, 2 “Thus says Yahweh of hosts: ‘This people says, “⌞The time has not come to rebuild the temple of Yahweh⌟.’ ”  3 And the word of Yahweh came ⌞through⌟ Haggai the prophet, saying,  4 “Is it a time for you yourselves to dwell in your houses that have been paneled while this house is desolate?”  5 And so then, thus says Yahweh of hosts: ‘⌞Consider your ways⌟! (emp. added GDR) 6 You have sown much but have harvested little. You have eaten without being satisfied; ⌞you have drunk without being satiated⌟; you have worn clothes without being warm; the one who earns wages puts it in ⌞a pouch with holes⌟.’  7 Thus says Yahweh of hosts: ‘⌞Consider your ways⌟! (emp. added GDR) 8 Go up the mountain and bring wood and build the house so that I may be pleased with it and honored,’ says Yahweh.  9 ‘You have looked for much, and look! It came to little; and when you brought it home, I blew it away. Why?’ ⌞declares⌟ Yahweh of hosts. ‘Because my house is desolate and you are running each to your own house!  10 Therefore, because of you the heavens have withheld the dew and the earth has withheld its produce.  11 I have called for a drought on the land and the hills, on the grain, the new wine, the olive oil, on what the soil produces, on human beings and wild animals, and on ⌞all their labor⌟.’ ”

The chosen people of God took care of themselves first and ignored God's chosen temple; that was wrong!!  The ministry of Haggai was a success, as the Jews finally did what God wanted them to do- so, sometimes people DO LISTEN!!! 

Today, are you and I really following God? I hope so. If not, start the very moment. Start with who you are, what you have (or in my case- what I have left) and who you will listen to. I plan to purpose my life in becoming a better disciple of Jesus!!! 

What's your goal?