3/7/17

Sin is nothing to hold on to by Gary Rose

To me, cats seem like such strange animals. I know how much some people adore their cats and I remember how much my dear sister-in-the-LORD, Lillian Hewitt loved hers, but still- I don't get it. Cats seem too independent for me, but if you love yours- MORE POWER TO YOU!!!

The cat in the picture typifies the unrepentant nature of the species and sends a message to all, felines and humans as well...


2 Corinthians, Chapter 7 (World English Bible)
  1 Having therefore these promises, beloved, let’s cleanse ourselves from all defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God. 

  2 Open your hearts to us. We wronged no one. We corrupted no one. We took advantage of no one.  3 I say this not to condemn you, for I have said before that you are in our hearts to die together and live together.  4 Great is my boldness of speech toward you. Great is my boasting on your behalf. I am filled with comfort. I overflow with joy in all our affliction. 

  5 For even when we had come into Macedonia, our flesh had no relief, but we were afflicted on every side. Fightings were outside. Fear was inside.  6 Nevertheless, he who comforts the lowly, God, comforted us by the coming of Titus,  7 and not by his coming only, but also by the comfort with which he was comforted in you while he told us of your longing, your mourning, and your zeal for me, so that I rejoiced still more. 

  8 For though I grieved you with my letter, I do not regret it, though I did regret it. For I see that my letter made you grieve, though just for a while.  9 I now rejoice, not that you were grieved, but that you were grieved to repentance. For you were grieved in a godly way, that you might suffer loss by us in nothing.  10 For godly sorrow produces repentance to salvation, which brings no regret. But the sorrow of the world produces death. (emp. added vs. 10 GDR)

The Corinthian church was in a hotbed of pagan hedonism. And its members were engrossed in activities that would have shocked even the pagans. But, they turned their act around (repented) and became a model church. That fact should provide great encouragement to every congregation struggling with worldliness.

Unlike that pictured cat, their repentance was genuine and the result salvation. Moral of all this is- be genuine and don't hold onto sin, for it will eventually kill you (even if you have seven lives [which you don't])!!!