7/5/17

Whatever works... by Gary Rose

If you are like me, you probably have made hundreds or maybe even thousands of sandwiches. But, depending upon the style of bread you are using, there are those slightly annoying little gaps at the edges of your circular cold-cuts.  This picture shows you how to solve that problem with a "new" way to make a sandwich.  Yes, it seems odd to me too- but it works. Problem solved. 

This reminds me of a problem that God once had. The almighty had chosen the nation Israel to be HIS special people and given them laws to live by- but, they couldn't (or a bit more accurately, WOULDN'T) keep HIS will.

But, God, in the days of Jeremiah foretold of a new way to obey, something that could include everyone, not just one people, but everyone. And here it is...


Jeremiah, Chapter 31 (WEB)

31 “Behold, the days come,” says Yahweh, 

“that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, 
and with the house of Judah: 



  32 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; 
which covenant of mine they broke, 
although I was a husband to them,” says Yahweh. 



  33 “But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days,” 
says Yahweh: 
“I will put my law in their inward parts, and I will write it in their heart. 



I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 


  34 They will no longer each teach his neighbor, 

and every man teach his brother, saying, ‘Know Yahweh;’ 
for they will all know me, from their least to their greatest,” says Yahweh: 



“for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.” 



God's solution to man's problem was to change his will (laws) from writings on stone (the ten commandments) to being engraved on the human heart. God was no longer to be viewed as a "far away" entity, but rather as one who dwells with us, in us.

In fact, there was never anything wrong with any of God's laws, but the fault was with us, in that we couldn't keep God's will. But that has all changed with Jesus' sacrifice of his life for our lives.

Excellent idea, good thinking and very, very appropriate. Some things are like that. Well, have to go- time for lunch. Humm, maybe I'll have a sandwich. And I think you know how I am going to make it, don't you???