4/18/18

Missing something??? by Gary Rose


Nice breakfast- well, most of it is. Let me see:There are eggs, bacon, ham, mushrooms, tomatoes, link sausages, pork chops, beans, toast, condiments and something unidentified at the top (patty sausages, perhaps). Then there are those black round circles at the bottom- burnt blood sausages????

To answer the question: Home fries,with onions, and of course- COFFEE!!!

Then, there is the question:What's missing? Missing indeed:Why would anyone even want this much food? 

But, I guess its in the nature of human beings to be obsessed with always wanting MORE, so even too much can be viewed as not enough. Therefore, something is always MISSING!!! This is the essence of greed and nothing exhibits this more than how a person views MONEY!!!

Jesus encountered a "spiritual" person who had a "material" problem...


Matthew, Chapter 19 (World English Bible)
  16 Behold, one came to him and said, “Good teacher, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?” 

  17 He said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good but one, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.” 

  18 He said to him, “Which ones?” 

Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder.’ ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ ‘You shall not steal.’ ‘You shall not offer false testimony.’ 
  19  ‘Honor your father and your mother.’ And, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’” 

  20 The young man said to him, “All these things I have observed from my youth. What do I still lack?(emphasis added)
  21 Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have, and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” 
  22 But when the young man heard the saying, he went away sad, for he was one who had great possessions.
  23 Jesus said to his disciples, “Most certainly I say to you, a rich man will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven with difficulty. 
  24  Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through a needle’s eye, than for a rich man to enter into God’s Kingdom.” 

  25 When the disciples heard it, they were exceedingly astonished, saying, “Who then can be saved?” 

  26 Looking at them, Jesus said, “With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”  (emphasis added)


This is an old battle: The Spiritual versus the Material. And the battleground is the human heart. That the disciples had a problem with Jesus' answer to the rich young man is amazing, but I need to remember that they had a different culture than mine. Yet, Jesus' last statement (verse 26, above) gives us all hope. "With God all things are possible" has been music to my ears for at least 45 years. I can change my life- with the help of God. And I'm still working on it!!!

What about you- missing something? Look to God; HE and HE ALONE has the answers!!!