12/17/18

"Get er done" by Gary Rose



An optimist and Pessimist I know, but a REALIST? So, I looked it up in my WordNet dictionary:
  • 1. (1) realist -- (a philosopher who believes that universals are real and exist independently of anyone thinking of them)
  • 2. realist -- (a person who accepts the world as it literally is and deals with it accordingly)
  • 3. realist -- (a painter who represents the world realistically and not in an idealized or romantic style)
If I understand correctly, then The Realist would be the sort of person who would measure the amount of water in the glass and calculate the percentage of the glass filled.

Then there is that “Opportunist”. I think I like him; he sees something to be done – and DOES IT!!! Last night at church Larry Shatzer used Titus as an example of a “getting things done” type of person. Of course Larry was correct- Titus was that sort of person. Perhaps it was his nature, I don’t know. I encourage you to read Titus, chapter 1 to find out more about his mission and the obstacles he had to confront.

This morning I thought of another example of someone who was a go-getter (but didn’t start out that way) – Timothy. I picture him as shy and reserved and youthful (at the time Paul wrote to him, anyway). Over time, Timothy grew in the faith, but he needed encouragement. Paul supplied plenty of that- at least two whole books of the New Testament worth. Read on to see what Timothy was up against…


1 Timothy 1 (World English Bible)
  1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus according to the commandment of God our Savior, and Christ Jesus our hope;  2 to Timothy, my true child in faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Christ Jesus our Lord. 

  3  As I urged you when I was going into Macedonia, stay at Ephesus that you might command certain men not to teach a different doctrine,  4 neither to pay attention to myths and endless genealogies, which cause disputes, rather than God’s stewardship, which is in faith—  5 but the goal of this command is love, out of a pure heart and a good conscience and sincere faith;  6 from which things some, having missed the mark, have turned aside to vain talking;  7 desiring to be teachers of the law, though they understand neither what they say, nor about what they strongly affirm. (emphasis added)  8 But we know that the law is good, if a man uses it lawfully,  9 as knowing this, that law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for man slayers,  10 for the sexually immoral, for homosexuals, for slave-traders, for liars, for perjurers, and for any other thing contrary to the sound doctrine;  11 according to the Good News of the glory of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust. 12 And I thank him who enabled me, Christ Jesus our Lord, because he counted me faithful, appointing me to service;  13 although I was before a blasphemer, a persecutor, and insolent. However, I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.  14 The grace of our Lord abounded exceedingly with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus. 15 The saying is faithful and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.  16 However, for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first, Jesus Christ might display all his patience, for an example of those who were going to believe in him for eternal life. (emphasis added) 17 Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, to God who alone is wise, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen. 


Ephesus had its problems- people who wanted to argue, philosophers of sorts who wanted to teach (or maybe a better word is argue) but ended up discussing myths and genealogies. These discussions would lead to arguments and endless discussions leading no where. These things would effectively cripple the work of the church and create interpersonal problems within the congregation.

In the above passage, Paul seems to be saying for Timothy NOT to focus on myths and genealogies, but rather on what God has done and will do for a person in this life and in the life to come. In other words, THE GOSPEL!

Timothy didn’t start out bold and forceful, but history teaches us that he died leading a protest against idol worship!

God changed Timothy and He can still change people today - anyone of us who is willing to follow the Almighty with enthusiasm.

Should Christians be opportunists? When it comes to the Gospel, I say a resounding YES!!! Humm… somehow the words “get her done” come to mind. Can you say that?