12/31/18

Reflection by Gary Rose


This last day of 2018 is one of reflection. Reflection of what has transpired and anticipation of what will be in 2019. We understand both ourselves and the world around us by our reflections and purpose to move forward as time passes into a new year.

The apostle Paul did something like this in the last letter he wrote to Timothy . He summarizes his final situation as follows.


2 Timothy 4 (World English Bible)
7 I have fought the good fight. I have finished the course. I have kept the faith.  8 From now on, there is stored up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will give to me on that day; and not to me only, but also to all those who have loved his appearing. 


Paul plainly states that he was faithful. He had much opposition, but he overcame all his adversaries with God’s help. I wonder, can all of us say the same? Have we done our very best, or were we lacking?

Paul looked forward to his heavenly reward. Characteristically, he thought not just of himself, but of all who genuinely love (and faithfully follow) God. Can we say the same?

So, on that last day of 2018, spend some time on both reflection and anticipation. If you can say the things Paul did, then fine; if not, you still of the opportunity to change. But the question remains – will you?