1/11/19

Calvinsim in the light of God's word: Chapter 1 God's Word by C. A. Feenstra

http://www.oldpaths.com/Archive/Feenstra/C/A/1931/ch01.html


"If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God." 1 Pet.4:11 AV

Chapter 1

God's Word

    Q Does GOD'S WORD claim Divine inspiration for Itself?
    "Knowing this first, that no prophecy of scripture is of private interpretation. For no prophecy ever came by the will of man: but men spake from God, being moved by the Holy Spirit." II Pet. 1:20-21
    "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works." II Tim. 3:16-17 AV
    "But we received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is from God; that we might know the things that were freely given to us of God. Which things also we speak, not in words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Spirit teacheth; combining spiritual things with spiritual words." Paul in I Cor. 2:12-13
    "the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:" Eph. 6:17
    "And for this cause we also thank God without ceasing, that, when ye received from us the word of the message, even the word of God, ye accepted it not as the word of men, but, as it is in truth, the word of God" I Thess. 2:13
    "Grace to you and peace be multiplied in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord; seeing that his divine power hath granted unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness" II Peter 1:2-3
    "...I was constrained to write unto you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered unto the saints." Jude 3
    Q. What does GOD'S WORD have to say about itself?
    "Thy word is truth." John 17:17
    "Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32
    "Thy word is ... light " Psalm 119:105
    "The opening of thy words giveth light; It giveth understanding unto the simple." Psalm 119:130
    "I will never forget thy precepts; For with them thou hast quickened me." Psalm 119:93
    "Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my (Jesus') words shall not pass away." Matt. 24:35
    "But the word of the Lord abideth for ever. And this is the word of good tidings which was preached unto you." I Peter 1:25
    "For the word of God is living, and active, and sharper than any two-edged sword" Heb. 4:12
    "For I am not ashamed of the gospel: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; ... For therein is revealed a righteousness of God from faith unto faith: as it is written, But the righteous shall live by faith." Rom. 1:16-17
    "So belief cometh of hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ." Rom. 10:17
    "Now I make known unto you brethren, the gospel which I preached unto you, ... by which also ye are saved" I Cor. 15:1-2
    "in Christ Jesus I begat you through the gospel." I Cor. 4:15
    "Of his own will he brought us forth by the word of truth" "receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls." James 1:18, 21
    "the sacred writings which are able to make thee wise unto salvation" II Tim. 3:15
    "should not a people seek unto their God? ... To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them." Isa. 8:19-20 AV
    "If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; ...that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever." I Pet. 4:11 AV
    "Whosoever goeth onward and abideth not in the teaching of Christ, hath not God: he that abideth in the teaching, the same hath both the Father and the Son." II John 9
    Q. What does GOD'S WORD teach about men hearing and obeying man's words instead of GOD'S WORDS?
    "And the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw nigh unto me, and with their mouth and with their lips to honor me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear of me is a commandment of men which hath been taught them;" Isa. 29:13
    "How do ye say, We are wise, and the law of Jehovah is with us? But, behold, the false pen of the scribes hath wrought falsely. The wise men are put to shame, they are dismayed and taken: lo, they have rejected the word of Jehovah; and what manner of wisdom is in them?" Jer. 8:8-9
    "Then Jehovah said unto me, The prophets prophesy lies in my name; I sent them not, neither have I commanded them, neither spake I unto them: they prophesy unto you a lying vision, and divination, and a thing of nought, and the deceit of their own heart.... for both the prophet and the priest go about in the land, and have no knowledge." Jer. 14:14, 18b
    "Thus saith Jehovah of hosts, Hearken not unto the words of the prophets that prophesy unto you: they teach you vanity; they speak a vision of their own heart, and not out of the mouth of Jehovah. They say continually unto them that despise me, Jehovah hath said, Ye shall have peace; and unto every one that walketh in the stubbornness of his own heart they say, No evil shall come upon you." Jer. 23:16-17
    "But if they had stood in my council, then had they caused my people to hear my words, and had turned them from their evil way, and from the evil of their doings." Jer. 23:22
    "Behold, I am against the prophets, saith Jehovah, that use their tongues, and say, He saith. Behold, I am against them that prophesy lying dreams, saith Jehovah, and do tell them, and cause my people to err by their lies, and by their vain boasting: yet I sent them not, nor commanded them; neither do they profit this people at all, saith Jehovah." Jer. 23:31-32
    "For thus saith Jehovah of hosts, the God of Israel: Let not your prophets that are in the midst of you, and your diviners, deceive you; neither hearken ye to your dreams which ye cause to be dreamed. For they prophesy falsely unto you in my name: I have not sent them, saith Jehovah." Jer. 29:8-9
    "And I will pursue after them with the sword, with the famine, and with the pestilence, and will deliver them to be tossed to and fro among all the kingdoms of the earth,... because they have not hearkened to my words, saith Jehovah,... because they (false prophets) have wrought folly in Israel,...and have spoken words in my name falsely, which I commanded them not; and I am he that knoweth, and am witness, saith Jehovah." Jer. 29:18-19, 23
    "But in vain do they worship me, Teaching as their doctrines the precepts of men. Ye leave the commandment of God, and hold fast the tradition of men. And he (Jesus) said unto them, Full well do ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your tradition." Mark 7:7-9
    "Take heed lest there shall be any one that maketh spoil of you through his philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ:" Col. 2:8
    "And if the blind guide the blind, both shall fall into a pit." Matt. 15:14
    "If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; ...that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever." I Pet. 4:11 AV
    "Whosoever goeth onward and abideth not in the teaching of Christ, hath not God: he that abideth in the teaching, the same hath both the Father and the Son." II John 9
    "learn not to go beyond the things which are written;" I Cor. 4:6
    What does GOD'S WORD teach about men lacking knowledge of GOD'S WORD, and will this lack of knowledge excuse man?
    "There is a way which seemeth right unto a man; But the end thereof are the ways of death." Prov. 14:12
    "Hear the word of Jehovah, ye children of Israel; for Jehovah hath a controversy with the inhabitants of the land, because there is no truth, nor goodness, nor knowledge of God in the land....My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, ...seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I also will forget thy children." Hosea 4:1,6
    "Therefore my people are gone into captivity for lack of knowledge;...Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!... they have rejected the law of Jehovah of hosts, and despised the word of the Holy One of Israel." Isa. 5:13, 20, 24
    "His own iniquities shall take the wicked, And he shall be holden with the cords of his sin. He shall die for lack of instruction;" Prov. 5:22-23
    "Jesus said unto them, Is it not for this cause that ye err, that ye know not the scriptures, nor the power of God?" Mark 12:24
    "...Jesus answered and said...Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; ...and ye shall find rest unto your souls." Matt. 11:25, 28-29
    "ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32
    "...thy word is truth." John 17:17

Published in The Old Paths Archive
(http://www.oldpaths.com)