10/2/19

Priorities and my "Bucket List" by Gary Rose



I wonder why someone would make a “bucket list” and not put staying alive (which explains the “yell for help”) at the very top. Isn’t staying alive the most important thing? Going places, doing things and obtaining possessions are fine, but isn’t living the most important?

Jesus said…

Matthew 16 ( World English Bible )
[24] Then Jesus said to his disciples, “If anyone desires to come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. [25] For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, and whoever will lose his life for my sake will find it. [26] For what will it profit a man, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his life? Or what will a man give in exchange for his life? [27] For the Son of Man will come in the glory of his Father with his angels, and then he will render to everyone according to his deeds.


Life first, everything else is far down on my “bucket list”. But, what is life anyway? Is it just not being dead? What if you or I had a severe stoke today and could no longer walk or talk or take care of ones-self? Is that living? Probably not; I would call it just “existing”.

Jesus said…

John 10 ( WEB )
[7] Jesus therefore said to them again, “Most certainly, I tell you, I am the sheep’s door. [8] All who came before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep didn’t listen to them. [9] I am the door. If anyone enters in by me, he will be saved, and will go in and go out, and will find pasture. [10] The thief only comes to steal, kill, and destroy. I came that they may have life, and may have it abundantly.


Who wouldn’t want an abundant life? What is this abundant life Jesus is talking about? Nothing less than life with God, in this world and the next. It means being saved from sin and living a life dedicated to following Jesus.

Next, we come to my “bucket list”. For the sake of brevity, let me just list a few things:

Loving God, my brethren and others as much as possible.
Listening to the words of the Bible and having them be my guide.
Striving to eliminate all sin in my life.
Being a faithful Christian until I leave this world.
Helping others see the value of living a life with God.

Notice, I didn’t include things to do, see, or get? If I were to put these things on the list, they would be far down because spiritual matters must come first.


What’s on your list? If it doesn’t include God, perhaps you should make a new list?