3/4/20

Think and DO by Gary Rose



Have you ever said something and almost immediately regretted it? If you said “NO”, then you are a special person indeed. For the rest of us, what we say gets us into trouble more often than we would like to admit. I like this picture because causes you to pause and think about what you say – BEFORE YOU SAY IT. When I think about these things, I turn my thoughts to the book of James for instruction. The apostles says…


James 3 ( World English Bible )
 [1] Let not many of you be teachers, my brothers, knowing that we will receive heavier judgment.  [2] For in many things we all stumble. If anyone doesn’t stumble in word, the same is a perfect man, able to bridle the whole body also.  [3] Indeed, we put bits into the horses’ mouths so that they may obey us, and we guide their whole body. [4] Behold,the ships also, though they are so big and are driven by fierce winds, are yet guided by a very small rudder, wherever the pilot desires.  [5] So the tongue is also a little member, and boasts great things. See how a small fire can spread to a large forest!  [6] And the tongue is a fire. The world of iniquity among our members is the tongue, which defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature, and is set on fire by Gehenna. [7] For every kind of animal, bird, creeping thing, and thing in the sea, is tamed, and has been tamed by mankind. [8] But nobody can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.  [9] With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who are made in the image of God.  [10] Out of the same mouth comes blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so.

  [13]  Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show by his good conduct that his deeds are done in gentleness of wisdom.


James seems like a very practical person to me; very down-to-earth in what he says. In short, this passage says to me- watch what you say! I especially like verse 13, for it says to me that I should be wise and have good conduct, not just talk about doing something about our speech.

Now that I think about it, that picture should have four gates, not three. The fourth one would be: Consider to whom you are speaking. Jesus had some pretty harsh words for the Pharisees, remember?

One last word, - from Jesus…

Matthew 10 ( WEB )
 [16]  Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.