4/1/20

Got your ears on? by Gary Rose



I don’t know what this animal is called; my best guess would be some sort of fox. If you know its name, please contact me, I would like to know. This “Fox” is an attractive little creature; I love its coloring, those whiskers and especially those EARS! My first thought about them is that they are BIG! They may in fact be designed to dissipate heat, but I like to think that they would allow that “Fox” to hear pretty good as well. 

Hearing has been on my mind lately, as last month I bought my first set of hearing aids. For the first time in our 51 year marriage, I am often asking my wife to “TURN THE TV DOWN”, or asking her to speak a little more softly. It truly is amazing to hear things that I haven’t heard in decades. And the last time I actually went to church (some time ago- due to the pandemic) I actually heard everything that was said.

Now that I think about it, hearing is far more than the physical ability to hear, but the attitude to do it. The “why” of a persons attitude varies. Jesus spoke a parable about “hearing”…


Matthew 13 ( World English Bible )
  [1] On that day Jesus went out of the house and sat by the seaside.  [2] Great multitudes gathered to him, so that he entered into a boat and sat; and all the multitude stood on the beach.  [3] He spoke to them many things in parables, saying, Behold, a farmer went out to sow.  [4]  As he sowed, some seeds fell by the roadside, and the birds came and devoured them.   [5] Others fell on rocky ground, where they didn’t have much soil, and immediately they sprang up, because they had no depth of earth.   [6]  When the sun had risen, they were scorched. Because they had no root, they withered away.   [7]  Others fell among thorns. The thorns grew up and choked them.   [8]  Others fell on good soil and yielded fruit: some one hundred times as much, some sixty, and some thirty.   [9]  He who has ears to hear, let him hear. 


In short, he says… Some have hardened hearts, others are superficial and do not really pay attention, others are preoccupied with their own interests or desires. But, there are some who really, really listen and actually do what God desires ( the good soil ).

Today, I arose early and rushed through my daily routine because I only a little time to do everything before my appointment with my doctor. Half-way through my dog-walk, I realized I had forgotten to put on my hearing aids. I said to myself- Gary, you forgot to put your ears on!

I wonder, how many out there can say the same thing in regard to hearing God’s word.
Question:
Do you have your spiritual ears on?