2/9/09

An angel or a devil?

What does an angel look like? I don't know; never have seen one! This man seems like one at first, but take a closer look; he just doesn't seem to foot the bill somehow. Maybe its the look on his face or his stance, but something says a BIG NO! We assume we know a lot of things in this world, but what do we really know? I could be very, very wrong and he could be Michael the archangel, but I assume he isn't, based on my ssumptions and guesses. That is just what the Sadducees did; they had their minds made up about things beyond their comprehension. How Jesus put them straight is seen in the following passage from the book of Matthew:

Mat 22:23 The same day Sadducees came to him, who say that there is no resurrection, and they asked him a question,
Mat 22:24 saying, "Teacher, Moses said, 'If a man dies having no children, his brother must marry the widow and raise up children for his brother.'
Mat 22:25 Now there were seven brothers among us. The first married and died, and having no children left his wife to his brother.
Mat 22:26 So too the second and third, down to the seventh.
Mat 22:27 After them all, the woman died.
Mat 22:28 In the resurrection, therefore, of the seven, whose wife will she be? For they all had her."
Mat 22:29 But Jesus answered them, "You are wrong, because you know neither the Scriptures nor the power of God.
Mat 22:30 For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.
Mat 22:31 And as for the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was said to you by God:
Mat 22:32 'I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'? He is not God of the dead, but of the living."
Mat 22:33 And when the crowd heard it, they were astonished at his teaching.
English Standard Version
They didn't know the Scriptures, heavenly matters or even GOD for that matter! The opinions of the Sadducees were based on their "religious" knowledge and Jesus put that to shame quickly indeed. It would have been better if they had simply asked Jesus about the resurrection or marriage, but no, they had to show their superiority. Sounds like a situation of the first being last and the last being first; but that is obvious, isn't it? Maybe I should take a dose of my own medicine and ask "Who do you think this is; an angel or a devil"? I can't wait to hear from you, but wait, is it me, or does he look a little bit like John Mackenroe? Well, I had better stop with all my opinions, because I think I am seeing quicksand up ahead and I might need a miracle to get pulled out. There never is an angel around when you really need one, is there?