5/30/09

Cows, prayer and sundials



I have seen a lot of things, but "falling cows"? While I don't doubt that it could happen, does it really happen so often that a sign is needed? If anyone out there is old enough to remember the sitcom "Mel's diner", then you probably will also remember the waitress who said "When Donkey's Fly". Well, I haven't seen either of these, but strange things do happen. Here is a strange one from the book of Isaiah.

Isa 38:1 In those days was Hezekiah sick and near death. Isaiah the prophet, the son of Amoz, came to him, and said to him, "Thus says Yahweh, 'Set your house in order, for you will die, and not live.' "
Isa 38:2 Then Hezekiah turned his face to the wall and prayed to Yahweh,
Isa 38:3 and said, "Remember now, Yahweh, I beg you, how I have walked before you in truth and with a perfect heart, and have done that which is good in your sight." Hezekiah wept bitterly.
Isa 38:4 Then the word of Yahweh came to Isaiah, saying,
Isa 38:5 "Go, and tell Hezekiah, 'Thus says Yahweh, the God of David your father, "I have heard your prayer. I have seen your tears. Behold, I will add fifteen years to your life.
Isa 38:6 I will deliver you and this city out of the hand of the king of Assyria, and I will defend this city.
Isa 38:7 This shall be the sign to you from Yahweh, that Yahweh will do this thing that he has spoken.
Isa 38:8 Behold, I will cause the shadow on the sundial, which has gone down on the sundial of Ahaz with the sun, to return backward ten steps. So the sun returned ten steps on the sundial on which it had gone down." ' "

Its in the Bible, so I do believe it happened; how, I don't have a clue, but then again that's where faith comes in, sometimes you believe in things you can't see. God heard Hezekiah's prayer and the sundial incident is proof that sometimes miracles do happen. As far as falling cows go, well, I have to see that one. But I have seen drunk cows and that isn't pretty. So, take care of your cows; put up a fence to keep them from falling over a cliff and keep them away from waterholes with fermenting apples in them!