5/8/09

A way out?

This photo, taken in Texas in early April 2009 tells a tale that needs no words, but I will say it anyway; somebody is in big trouble! Ever been in this sort of situation; I have. In Spiegletown, N.Y. in 1963 I was hitchhiking in front of the Marine Midland bank (next to Our Savior's Lutheran church) when suddenly a pack of dogs attacked me. There were five of them and before I knew it they were all around me and was I scared! I did the only thing I could, which was to take off my heavy leather jacket and swing it around my head to keep them at bay, but I could see with each passing second that my situation was steadily growing more desperate. THEY WERE BIG DOGS AND THEY WERE GETTING CLOSER! Thank God a passing automobile stopped and let me in, because I knew I was done for. Sometimes you just are going to get it, no matter what you do. If God allows you to be rescued, great; if not, well, nobody lives forever. Elijah was discouraged and God not only comforts him, but solves the problem doubly (pay close attention to verse 17) as this passage from 1st Kings relates.

Ki 19:14 He said, I have been very jealous for Yahweh, the God of Armies; for the children of Israel have forsaken your covenant, thrown down your altars, and slain your prophets with the sword; and I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.
1Ki 19:15 Yahweh said to him, Go, return on your way to the wilderness of Damascus: and when you come, you shall anoint Hazael to be king over Syria;
1Ki 19:16 and you shall anoint Jehu the son of Nimshi to be king over Israel; and you shall anoint Elisha the son of Shaphat of Abel Meholah to be prophet in your place.
1Ki 19:17 It shall happen, that he who escapes from the sword of Hazael shall Jehu kill; and he who escapes from the sword of Jehu shall Elisha kill.
1Ki 19:18 Yet will I leave me seven thousand in Israel, all the knees which have not bowed to Baal, and every mouth which has not kissed him.
World English Bible

God takes care of his own and from his judgment there is no escape. I KNOW this to be true because several times he has provided a way out when there seemed to be no way out at all. All of the above is true and worth thinking about; God in heaven is great, of that I have no doubt!!! By the way, if I worked on this oil rig, I think changing occupations would be on my mind; how about you?

P.s. Thanks to Ron Cameron for sending me the picture!