12/19/09

Sitting pretty



The other day my oldest granddaughter Amanda came over for a visit and she brought her little dog Hercules with her. Cute little dog! But Hercules has some health and behavioral problems caused by a previous owners abuse. Still, I can see that he is improving and someday may be completely well. After awhile he even felt comfortable enough to make himself at home and take up residence on my wife's recliner. How we treat those who are the weakest in our society says a lot about us. We have responsibilities to those less fortunate or weaker than us and of course this includes how we treat our pets. Jesus put it this way...



Matthew 25:34-40 WEB (R)
(34) Then the King will tell those on his right hand, 'Come, blessed of my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world;
(35) for I was hungry, and you gave me food to eat. I was thirsty, and you gave me drink. I was a stranger, and you took me in.
(36) I was naked, and you clothed me. I was sick, and you visited me. I was in prison, and you came to me.'
(37) "Then the righteous will answer him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry, and feed you; or thirsty, and give you a drink?
(38) When did we see you as a stranger, and take you in; or naked, and clothe you?
(39) When did we see you sick, or in prison, and come to you?'
(40) "The King will answer them, 'Most certainly I tell you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.'


Caring for others is an expression of the righteousness within our hearts; it is the outward expression of the love within our hearts. If my granddaughter Amanda could look at this poor mistreated animal and do whatever she could to overcome the damage done to it, what about does that say about the greater importance of treating our fellow human beings with compassion, understanding and patience. During the course of our lives, we all may experience "hard times" at one time or another, so when things improve, remember to do the right thing for those around you. The person you help may not sit up pretty in a recliner or jump into your arms like this little dog does, but I assure you that they WILL REMEMBER whatever kindness you show them. So will God on judgment day.