1/19/10

Perspective in truth


I imagine most people have never heard of three player chess, but it has perked my curiosity over the years. It seems to me that it would be more like war than the standard chess I have played over the years; more true to what war is really like. It also occurred to me that this board could also represent truth as well; my truth, your truth and God's truth. Having this thought I thought about Pilate's response to Jesus....

John 18:33-38 WEB (R)
(33) Pilate therefore entered again into the Praetorium, called Jesus, and said to him, "Are you the King of the Jews?"
(34) Jesus answered him, "Do you say this by yourself, or did others tell you about me?"
(35) Pilate answered, "I'm not a Jew, am I? Your own nation and the chief priests delivered you to me. What have you done?"
(36) Jesus answered, "My Kingdom is not of this world. If my Kingdom were of this world, then my servants would fight, that I wouldn't be delivered to the Jews. But now my Kingdom is not from here."
(37) Pilate therefore said to him, "Are you a king then?" Jesus answered, "You say that I am a king. For this reason I have been born, and for this reason I have come into the world, that I should testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice."
(38) Pilate said to him, "What is truth?" When he had said this, he went out again to the Jews, and said to them, "I find no basis for a charge against him.

If even Pilate could see Jesus was innocent, what does this say about the Jews? To me, the term "narrow minded" comes to mind. But, that is from my perspective; I might have thought differently about them if I lived in A.D. 33. The point is that we should be open to the views of others and consider truth in the three fold perspective of mine, yours and God's. Hint, the more you focus on the last one in the list, the better you will be able to understand the other two. Now, having said all this, I wonder if alliances are allowed in three player chess; if so, I pick God.